Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads

I was on the aussie forum about a month ago and saw a optimax vs ultimate thread, over there it looks like every one raves about ultimate? has any one changed to ultimate or at least used it yet instead of optimax?
I might give it ago when i get my car back just to see if you notice the difference, the aussies reckon its more refind and is alot better than optimax so could be worth the try?

Stu

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ultimate

I have used Ultimate, where previously I was using unleaded.
When hitting the gas, I noticed a definite improvement.
More responsive, like comparing Bungle to Zippy. The six has a lot moe zip using the Ultimate.
I've not been able to note any savings in fuel. Although its claimed to get upto an extra 25 mpg and a cleaner engine to boot.
Which is just as well when you consider the price.
All I can say is the needle on the fuel guage did appear to move a little slower.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Standard Unleaded = 95 octane
BP Ultimate = 97 octane
Shell Optimax = 98 octane.

I personally use Shell Optimax where possible, Ultimate as second choice and standard in an emergency.
The problem I've found is that BP tend to run out of Ultimate in their garages round here and it takes ages for them to get more. :(

I've found I get roughly the same miles per £ whatever I use, but the car performs so much better on Optimax.

Ken

·
Registered
768 Posts
kenholland said:
Standard Unleaded = 95 octane
BP Ultimate = 97 octane
Shell Optimax = 98 octane.

I personally use Shell Optimax where possible, Ultimate as second choice and standard in an emergency.
The problem I've found is that BP tend to run out of Ultimate in their garages round here and it takes ages for them to get more. :(

I've found I get roughly the same miles per £ whatever I use, but the car performs so much better on Optimax.

Ken
exactly, the higher the Octane level, the better it is for the engine as it keeps the internals of the engine cleaner.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Ken

The specifiactions ive read and BP have published state that BP ultimate is 98 RON not 97 as you quoted....

Basically its just BP's fight back to Shells Optimax.

G

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Got to admit I won't use anything else but Optimax now. Had a bad experience with my local BP garage - used their Super Unleaded, and the car just wouldn't go, coughed spluttered and farted all over the shop - new tank of shell optimax, some injector cleaner = back to normal. Maybe just unlucky, but not taking any chances..........................

Graeme

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats strange Storm, they prob put the wrong petrol in the wrong pump :( unless of course you had a major hangover and thought you were putting in unleaded when it was really deisel })

I was just going by what the aussies were saying on there forum,if you have time go into there forum and do a search on optimax vs ultimate and your see what i mean..................
i presume the fuel is the same ie performance and the way its made in diff countrys??
Well i suppose its handy having 2 similer fuels because if you cant find a shell garage your probebly find a bp one or viceverser!!

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
G-Force said:
Ken

The specifiactions ive read and BP have published state that BP ultimate is 98 RON not 97 as you quoted....

Basically its just BP's fight back to Shells Optimax.

G
Ahh, I prob got confused with Super Unleaded then G. If it is 98, all I can say is 'about time too!'

Now all I gotta wait for is BP to get their act together and start getting it to the pumps...

Ken

·
Registered
44 Posts
think theres a garage in southampton somewhere that sells the orginal 4 star, not to sure what the octaine rating is, its really meant to be sold to classic cars etc... i know mazda says the mx6 runs on unleaded but i cant see any bad effects it would cause, apart from the price of it! anyone know what the octaine rating is?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Gareth

4 Star is 97 RON the same as Super Unleaded. However you should not run your MX6 on 4 Star the head and valve set up is specifically designed to run on unleaded.

While im fairly sure it would run and dont believe a single fill up would cause immidiet damage i believe it would over time deteriorate your engine.

Regards

G

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
gareth231

Emm DO NOT run your car on 4 star, it will poison your CAT and then your gonna be looking to replace it, infact i ain't sure the car will run very good with 4 star, but like i say it will kill the CAT for sure.

Andy

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
The engine will run fine on 4star.. no problems at all.. and won't cause any damage to it.

however... unless you want to ruin other parts of the car, dont even think about it.. it will permanently damage the cat.. also it will kill the 02 sensors. it's the lead (or substitute)

John

·
Registered
44 Posts
Didnt think of the damage it would cause to the cat, i couldnt afford to use it as its so expensive anyway,

·
Registered
757 Posts
Never come across this Ultimate stuff yet but heard it was supposed to be 99ron, which would make it good. I wasn't near a shell garage the other day so went to BP, after driving round the station 3 times looking for the super plus I eventually pulled next to the scruffy pump that squirts out the normal crap. After I put a fiver in I asked the clerk were the super pump was and he said it was switched off on a night :confused:

With the nights closing in the dam thing is never on, don't suppose it would be any better if they got ultimate in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts