Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i went out and bought myself new brake pads... the only thing is, I DONT KNOW HOW TO PUT THEM ON! the guy at the store said it would be really easy, bla bla bla... but i have no idea what im supposed to do. can anyone help me out here?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well first of all you are going to have pull off the calipers to get at the pads then it should be really easy. Getting the calipers off is always the fun part if they are rusted.

I would also suggest getting a service manual for the car. It will give you all of the info you are looking for.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any idea which bolts i need to loosen/remove? i would get a service manual, but im flat broke right now! i spent all my money on the pads haha

·
Registered
806 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i just found his page a few seconds before you posted this! due to what i read there, i may not attempt this myself. i really dont want to screw this up.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
4banger93 said:
yeah, i just found his page a few seconds before you posted this! due to what i read there, i may not attempt this myself. i really dont want to screw this up.
take the wheel off and then there is a top and bottom bolt ( 2 bolts all together) remove those, the caliper will slide off. then the pads them self have a clips (type peice) that hold them. that is the fun part, not hard but just be patient.

G

·
banger, how much did it cost u? (the pad)
and where to buy em?
i think i need to get them myself.
Tuffy estimates is killing me. It costs more than 400 bucks.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you are just buying the pads, then you can pay anywhere from $40 or so to about $100 tops. This is the difference in getting regular cheapo pads or getting some "fancy" pads. I personally just get the "high quality" organic brake pad line from the local Advance Auto or NAPA store. Brake pads are made to wear out and these pads don't leave a lot of dust, so they work for me. Call around and see what you can find.

·
Registered
579 Posts
what?? what's this about taking the calipers off? when i replaced the pads on my mx-3, i didn't have to remove the calipers, i just pulled the 2 long steel pins, then the retaining spring/clip, voila! they slid out no problem! are mx-6's brakes different?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, i bought the cheapest pads advance auto parts had... which was a mistake. these things fade like crazy, and even though i've had them on for almost a month, they still give off a really bad smell and get LOTS of dust all over my wheels. also, i am noticing some major vibration when i DON'T have the brakes applied over about 35 mph or so. this could be due to my bad cv joints, also... but i dunno right now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts