Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

My 1992 Mazda Mx-6 2.5i is experiencing brake problems. July 2000, the front discs and brake shoes were replaced (does the MX-6 has two sets of discs per wheel?). After three months (October 2000), the car was really shaking while braking, indicating that something was not in order with the brakes again. I returned the car to the dealer, who replaced the discs and shoes again (warranty, good for me)! They told me I was a very prowerful driver and as such, the brakes were worn out (???). Note that from July - October I drove 3500 miles. Imagine, I drove 3500 miles with a new set of discs and brake shoes! How is that possible? On the contrary to what the dealer says, I'm absolutely not a powerfull driver. Anyway, even after replacing the discs in October, the car is experiencing problems again i.e. when pushing the brakes firmly (not ABS), the red brake light on my dash flashes, indicating that the discs or shoes again need to be replaced.....? Or does it mean something else? What comes to mind now: the rear discs and shoes were not replaced (not in July, not in October), so that's where the problem might be. Anyway, please let me know if you have any idea what's going on here. Do I need to replace everyting again, or?

Thank's for your comments!

Sincerely, Gerard Nijsse

G

·
One word - ROTORS! Get them turned, or if they are too thin, replace them. They are only about $25-30 apiece. I know what you're going through with brakes, I need to get my rotors turned quite badly.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Check your brake fluid level. The light is probably flashing because when you do a hard brake the fluid gets moved around and it's reading low. Top it off and that should take care of it.
Beach.
'91 GT.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Gerard, you might want to have the calipers checked out. They might be stuck which is allowing the brakes to contact the disc at all times. The overheating is also what might be warping your rotors. It's happened to me before. Oh BTW. Even though your car's a '92 it's technically a 2ndgen. I assume you're from europe? We didnt get the 2ndgen here in the USA until '93. So maybe someone in the 2ndgen forum will be able to help you better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
90mx_6 said:
Oh, yeah, have your inner tie rod ends checked out too.
Hi,

Thank's for your comments!! I'll keep it in mind next time I'll bring to the shop!

Bye, Gerard

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anarchyx34 said:
Gerard, you might want to have the calipers checked out. They might be stuck which is allowing the brakes to contact the disc at all times. The overheating is also what might be warping your rotors.
OK, I see! That might indeed be the problem! Thank's.

It's happened to me before. Oh BTW. Even though your car's a '92 it's technically a 2ndgen. I assume you're from europe? We didnt get the 2ndgen here in the USA until '93. So maybe someone in the 2ndgen forum will be able to help you better.
Now I get it. Yep, I'm from Europe and the look of my car is a 2nd generation look (more curved). Thank's! I'll post it in the 2nd generation forum soon.

Bye, Gerard

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tx_beach said:
Check your brake fluid level. The light is probably flashing because when you do a hard brake the fluid gets moved around and it's reading low. Top it off and that should take care of it.
Beach.
'91 GT.
OK, I did it and (yes!) it solved the problem!

Thank's! Gerard

·
Registered
268 Posts
Glad it helped, now I hope you can figure out the problem with your pads going out so quickly...
Beach.
'91 GT.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I'm gonna do you the favor and move this thread to the 2ndgen forum. You should be able to get more help there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts