Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have noticed that lately my braking has been pretty bad. I mean sometimes i cant really stop at the normal distance. I can be going 90 km/h and stomp on the gas and it wont lockup. I changed my master cylinder but didnt benchbleed it. And i also noticed that my clutch pedel is a soft now, so i am thinking that it might be my master cylinder gone bad because the clutch slave cylinder works of that right ? Please give me some feed back on this so i know what to do or look for. thanks in advance

·
Registered
515 Posts
If you are running stock pads I would suggest that you upgrade to somthing (anything) better. When I first got my car a year ago the brakes were horrible. Emergency stopping was a (dangerous) joke. So, the first thing I replaced was my rotors and pads; all around & bleed.

As far as the mushy clutch pedal did you check to see if the slave cylinder is leaky? Mine was and it cost $8 for a rebuild kit from AutoZone + cost of brake fluid. took less than 1-1/2 hrs to rebuild.

·
Registered
959 Posts
thats a problem ive been hunting down in my dx for a while now.. ive narrowed it down to the fact that my rear brakes are drums... so in the near future i shall be fitting a set of rear disks to my precious...but ive been through 6 mastercylinders.. steel braided lines.. new pads and hours of bleeding with some success.. but im hoping that the disk conversion is the kicker ive been looking for

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Drum brakes aren't bad brakes. My old Landcruiser had 4 wheel drum brakes, 35" rubber and weighed close to 3700lb but I'd lock those up, no problem at all. Drums don't dissapate heat as well as discs, but as long as the aren't too small they're still an alright brake.

I'd be looking at a rotor machining, new pads(I don't have a problem with normal/stock pads) but first bleed your brakes, air in the line makes a huge difference in stopping power and mushiness (I'm sure that's not a word)

I may have misread the last bit of the post, but in case I didn't, the braking and clutch systems/cylinders have nothing to do with each other, both are seperate systems.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
it could be the old rubber lines going to the caliper are getting worn , getting soft. it would cause them to expand more under harder braking. i would sugest replacing them with braided lines.

·
Registered
959 Posts
adam, you wouldnt happen to know anyone with a set of steel braided lines for the rear w/ disk brakes they wouldnt mind selling fairly cheaply, something to replace the rubber lines, i aquired an entire rear axle , hubs, rotors, calipers and everything, used lines would be ok, just something to replace the rubber lines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts