Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone

I've done a lot of searching on the post, and basically all the threads about brakes are for Big Brake Kits. Now, Even if the $1000 didn't phase me - the fact that my 15" wheels will have to be replaced (and considering I just got really nice new tires - that ain't happening) alone makes me cringe.

So here's the question. So far I have KVR slotted rotors both in front and back. When I got them - frankly, I saw little performance enhancement. When I got the rotors, I also got the KVR metallic brake pads. This was approximately August of 2002 - and now I can feel vibrations when braking hard, and there is a lot of brake fade. I hate it. I want CONTROL! I know that I can get better brake pads - the Hawk HP plus were recommended on one of the threads here. That's all well and good - but I want more stopping power - meaning I'd like to upgrade my calipers from the crappy single piston ones, without having to get new rims and rubber.

Bottom line - does anyone have a suggestion for some two piston aftermarket calipers that will fit directly or with few mods to the stock brake setup?

Also, based on my vibration problem and fade - do you think it's my pads wearing out? Or is it my rotors warping or having surface defects? Or is it my brake lines?

Please - give me any and all of your suggestions - and if I have missed a post that may give m a good answer - kindly point me to it.

Thanks you guys.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Our brakes from what I have seen with my car are very vulnerable to heat. The best upgrade you can do for your brakes is to get some ducting and duct your brakes. OEM rotors and some real good pads and you will be set for a long time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
calipers

thanks for your reply b4tn

First - what exactly do you mean ducting the brakes? Do you mean to improve the air flow? I don't think I exactly understand what you mean...

Second - do you - or anyone else reading this - know of any aftermarket calipers that can fit the front brake setup in our cars? Or do they simply not exist?

·
Registered
811 Posts
You can get upgraded calipers from rr-racing.com If I am not mistaken they go fro around $500 for a set. but to be completley honest you dont need them unless you are road racing.

When I say ducting I mean getting some air to the rear of the rotors. It can be done for pretty cheap and you can see some examples on other cars if you do a goole search. Basicly a hose is routed from your front bumper to the plate behind your caliper. This allows air from the front to be rammed in to your rotors keeping them cool. Like I said do a google search for more specifics becasue you have to rout the ducting to the center of the rotor and other little trick to get it working right. Many Auto X'rs and roadracers do this and it works well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

thanks man - that's very good info. I'll do some searching, and post some links up here for others to check out.

finally - what do you think I should do with the old rotors? you think they're done for?

·
Registered
414 Posts
they may be smoth as but preety sure they'll be undersize.. that's why it shakes like crap when braking over 80km/h.

24mm-new
22mm-maximum wear.

i had mine on 18 (can you imagine the shakes i was getting) :D

"till i put my foot in the door."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts