Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

i've done my research on brakes, the mx6, other cars, etc...

now i'm at the part where i'm sourcing out rotors, calipers, etc...

will let you guys know how well it works when its done. shall be a very very nice ugprade. not to expensive either

·
Registered
665 Posts
i too was wondering about this LX...
one day maybe wanting to upgrade my front brakes to something with more stopping power

should be the goods, keep us updated

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
tomee said:
i too was wondering about this LX...
one day maybe wanting to upgrade my front brakes to something with more stopping power

should be the goods, keep us updated
dont just do the fronts dont want to be nose diving into corners, either way after a brake upgrade even on the fronts and rears you really should get a bias controller unless they happen to match perfectly which is highly unlikely. coz if u just do the fronts, it'll be ok for slamming on the brakes when u gotta stop really quick, but if your planning on taking a corner after, thats a different story.

i personally think 1g brakes are crap, even thou im just using standard brake fluid and bendix advance pads on stock rotors. just as normal brakes go i would prefer them to be FAR better than that, plus they start fading really quick, especially for the size rotors and pad area we have. which would suggest they shouldnt be that bad, but they are.
i'd be looking into something like 4 pot brakes with rotors large enough that you need 17" wheels as a minimum to fit the calipers on :D
lol like hte current fpvs, the caliper sits like 2mm off the inside of the wheel

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Interested to see how you go on this as Rodhog put alot into getting his fronts upgraded to HSV. I dont think he got away with that for under $2g?

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, well its consisting of 300mm front rotors, 25 mm thick, 4 piston calipers, new brake lines (adr approved), as far as your rear brakes go, looking at twin piston rears and with the setup using the calipers i'm going to there is no need for a brake bias adjuster. oh and it will be well under 2g's . looking at about the 1300 mark. depending on the relocation brakets for the caliper.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Very interesting. Just PM'd you some tips with piston diameter size v fluid displacement.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I am interested as well LX, but can you tell us how much it will cost the brands etc etc,....

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
he wqont tell you yet I spoke to him yesterday on the phone I have a fair idea of what he is thinking but he wouldnt tell me specifically wanted to make sure it was possible before getting everyones hopes up..which is fair enough..does sopnd extremely interesting...you will nedd 17's though...I think thats what he said anyways

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
well lets just give him time to figure it out and have it experimented and tested and then see what happenes...we aint in no rush anyways.....

yeah cause if he tells us now and we do it and it stuffs up then he is gonna be blamed by someone unhappy anyways, so its best that he figure it out and do more research and then he probably share it with us or whatever....

GO! LX SS GO!....

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Yeah I've been there done that. I could have done it cheaper but - it was time and Engineering problems.

In fact it was fairly expensive. As I had some 4 spots which turned out to be too much ot fit and well I would of been stuck with 300mm rotors not the big ass ones I have now which I think are about 330mm or so. As for rear brakes, all power is always at the front. Bias control - Just remember that's illigal in cabin and adjustable, on street.
Plus only if your using it for curcit.

If I had the time I would of done it like a friend AP racing calipers.

Factory brakes are GOOD - In fact Excellent on n/A's and light model Mx-6's on a heaveir and 4WS/ Auto models they don't hold up as well.

Corrvette C57 calipers with discs do the job in fact it's the discs nothing else really.
4 spots would allow a bit more pedal feel, yet woudl require a certain wheel to clear and possibly put your track out and in NSW adding 25mm to your tyres puts your wheels out again if you space them.

No headaches for me thats.

My best advice ring someone like Race brakes. Brakes are very important do FARK WITH THEM.

only regreat no using braided lines for looks ;)

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
don't worry rodhog, it will be engineered.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
I recently got a 355mm rotor to muck around wiht for a day

looks great but was too big for the car, need 18's or so to clear them

the actual rotor fit snugly into the inside of the stock 15inch rim to give you a idea of size.

for your interst the rotor is off a AU S3 TS50

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

little update, this was a test setup

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol.

difference i found was doing 58kmh with stock setup braking,

the new setup gave me a 2 meter less braking distance, doesn't sound like much but its something.

can't wait to get the larger version going

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I spy an angle grinder... :smokin: haha lol

Dont suppose it was used on the brake set-up?!?!

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
naa it wasn't used on the brake, was used on something else

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but how about Bluebird brakes. Would they be reasonably easily adapted? Would they even be an uprade?
Subi legacy brakes sounds to be relitively painless acording to gavin.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts