Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 LS, and one of the brakes needs repair. I am wondering if its worth it to upgrade the rotors and pads while I'm at it. I already have installed the Checker Auto Parts best pads, but, whatever. Are slotted rotors and performance pads worth the cash? Is the lifetime of the parts longer or shorter? Stopping power and fade resistance? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have a 94 LS, and one of the brakes needs repair. I am wondering if its worth it to upgrade the rotors and pads while I'm at it. I already have installed the Checker Auto Parts best pads, but, whatever. Are slotted rotors and performance pads worth the cash? Is the lifetime of the parts longer or shorter? Stopping power and fade resistance? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance.
Yes upgrade the pads and rotors and change out the brake fluid for some really good stuff while youre at it like ATE or Motul. I have slotted EBC rotors on all 4 corners of my car and i really like them. They cool down very quick because of the slots and dont rust. Last a long time too. Good fade resistance. Get rid of the crap checker pads and get some Hawk pads. Hawk HPS will be more then enough for daily street driving.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Slotted rotors are only like $65 a piece and the pads aren't too expensive either. The only time it gets expensive is when people buy the oversized rotors cause then it is a whole new brake kit including new calipers, brake lines usually, and of course your wheels have to be big enough to accept the new oversized brakes. I did my brakes for around $225 last time with the HPS Hawks.

·
Registered
752 Posts
A set of steel lines from corksport would be worth it to i would think $90 or some thing like that

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
that is if you can get your old brake lines off the hardlines :p I have a set of steel brakes lines and they're just sitting there because my stock brake lines are stuck, one of which is stripped now :( lolz

A set of steel lines from corksport would be worth it to i would think $90 or some thing like that

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Brakes are never something to skimp on. But then I have VR4 Brakes, SS Lines. Frankly I think SS Lines are so cheap they are a must on any older car.

As for Drilled and Slotted I personally see them as a must as well but me personally... if my VR4's had not come with D & S I would have only gone with Slotted.

Either way, anything you do to improve braking should go hand in hand with your performance mods.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
I've had slotted and drilled rotors on my car for years. I've never experienced brake fade at all. Granted I don't track race the car but even during some very heavy street driving they work like a charm.

I do think that they eat pads a little faster though. :shrug: Not really a big deal. Just more brake dust on the wheels.

I am planning on doing the mazda6 brake upgrade when tax season comes around.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't spend the extra money on slotted rotors. If you have it go for it, but I would just go for brembo blanks and a good pad. I have axxis ultimates and they are PLENTY of brake for a non-abs car and do not fade during spirited driving. They made an incredible difference over cheap pads. Also I have driven a probe with hawk pads and I must say i like my axxis pads much better.

·
Registered
533 Posts
98+ 626 V6 comes with larger front and rear rotors...you can swap the caliper bracket and then you can run the larger rotors if you want. Even running high quality blanks you'll notice a differences. Cross drilled rotors are good for a daily though, slotted can be hard on brake pads.

Either way run some Hawk HPS pads, they're a nice product.

JACK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts