Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As happens from time to time, a part needs to be replaced on my '95 V6, and so I think about upgrading it.
I have already gotten the springs (H&R lowered it about 2"), wheels ('96 RX7's work great), exhaust (resonaters), plugs (platiunum 4's), wires and coil, chip (becuase I wanted to). but now it's the brakes. The rotors are starting to chunk out. Wierd. So, I start looking around, and I cannot see which brake kits are available for my little car. I was hoping some of you might have opinions about brakes. I would like input about just replacing the rotors, or rotors and calipers. Of course any input on pads would be appreciated as well. BTW, I have about 40K on the odometer.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Call Summit Racing. They got decent deals on PowerStop rotors and Goodrich braided lines. Also, check out the MetalMaster pads. Got them and lovin' them. Our car already have strong brakes. Only a few feet past the stopping distance of a Supra.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BRAKE UPGRADE

THERE ARE OTHER BRAKE UPGRADES AVAILABLE FOR THE MX-6 93+ I HAVE PURCHASHED A SET OF BREMBO CROSS DRILLED CADMIUM DIPPED FROM A COMPANY IN CANADA BY THE NAME OF CONTEMPORARY MOTORSPORTS FOR LIKE $80 DOLLARS A PIECE ,UNFORTUNATELY I DO NOT HAVE THE NUMBER ,BUT SEARCH THE NET FOR CONTEMPORARY MOTORSPORT.COM GET THE NUMBER AND WHEN YOU CALL ASK FOR "GAVIN" HE WILL HOOK YOU UP

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
1bad_mx6 said:
Call Summit Racing. They got decent deals on PowerStop rotors and Goodrich braided lines. Also, check out the MetalMaster pads. Got them and lovin' them. Our car already have strong brakes. Only a few feet past the stopping distance of a Supra.
just wanted to ask what did you pay for the MetalMaster Pads. thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't really remember since it was a while back. I guess they were around $50 for front and rear together. Not really bad at all. They hook up like crazy.... Call them and let us know what the whole ball of wax cost now a day!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Big Brake Conversions

Go over to http://www.probetalk.com and do a search for big brake conversoins or brake upgrades. A while ago I read about a set of 13 or 14 inch discs with new 6 piston calipers and braided lines (all in a package of sorts) for a little over a grand. I know it sounds like a lot, but for all of that it's a good deal. Could you imagine the stopping power of our cars with 14 inch discs all around??? It'd be awesome.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You'll need two grands to do the big brakes conversion on the whole car. Remember, our cars can stop almost as fast as the Supra so is big brakes really necessary. Unless you're doing SCCA or motorcrossing, save the money for a forced induction kit.

You'll notice a big improvement with just powerstop cross-drilled rotors, metalmaster pads, and goodrich braided lines. All for about $300.

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
I saw someone here in MX6.COM or Probetalk was trying to swap in a 2nd gen RX-7 brakes. Sounds like less $$ to me and I think those will do the job just fine.
Mici

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks a lot guys.
I am coming to the conclusion that it's gonna be around $2K for new calipers all around as well, so perhaps that is a bit much. I think I am going to just try the MetalMaster pads for now, on stock rotors.
I have to think about the 4 children I have and ensure that the wife doesn't throw me out of the house with the car....

Dexter

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have only heard good things about the axxis metal brake pads and the powerstop rotors, only one thing they are expensive.

·
Registered
257 Posts
at the site i posted above, they arent that much more than an OEM would be. like $190 for two rotors and axxis pads. i think OEM would end up at like $150-$160 for new rotors and new pads. not bad considering how much better they are.

its the kind of thing that if u already need new rotors and pads, then do it right for the extra 30-40 bux. but if u just want em, then yeah it is a pretty penny.

i'm doin a FULL brake job soon. front and rear slotted rotors, front and rear Axxis or KVR pads, rebuild my current calipers, and prolly stainless steel lines too. prolly still only run $500 or so, and it'll be the best stopping i can get without going bigger or breaking $1200.

for big brake kits, check this:
http://www.rr-racing.com/

hope this helped :)
L8Rs
Nick
BLUMX6

1 - 13 of 13 Posts