Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be replacing the front and rear disc brakes. Has anybody done this themselves before? Is it very difficult? How long does it normally take? Would I be better to pay someone to do it? I'd almost rather not, cuz I want to learn on my baby, but I also don't want to screw things up. What do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
666 Posts
It's not hard at all really. Just make sure not to touch the swept area of the rotor with your hands. Meaning, don't touch where the pads will touch, because you'll get a hotspot and warp the rotor. Make sure you have a big pair of channel locks to push the pistons in. The rear pistons will have to be turned to push them in. Also, make sure to bleed them all when you get done. Don't let the level fall too far in the master cylinder while bleeding or you'll get to start over again.
If you come up with any specific questions, let me know.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
One word of note if you have ABS; DO NOT just push the piston in. Make sure that you open the bleeder valve before pushing the piston in. If you don't you could destroy the seals in your ABS pump.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Damn, I wish I knew that before I replaced my rotors/pads. That would explain why my brakes suck right now, and the leak I have. How much dose the ABS pump cost from Mazda?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Sorry to hear that; the ABS pump is over 1k from mazda. I suggest maybe trying to find one at the junk yard if you know that yours is bad.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Eek, I don't have ABS, so, I didn't know about that.
I guess I shouldn't speak up so quick without knowing next time.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Manifest said:
One word of note if you have ABS; DO NOT just push the piston in. Make sure that you open the bleeder valve before pushing the piston in. If you don't you could destroy the seals in your ABS pump.
Uh oh... Wish I knew that before I changed the brakes last summer. Havent had any problems though.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Manifest said:
Count me in for that mistake too. The brakes seem to be fine on mine too though.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I have done similar things also; thinking I did every step correctly and then find out that I missed something important.

I have double checked the manual; and it doesn't say anything about having to open the bleeder when you push the caliper back in. If I remember I picked up this tip from my Mazda tech and it was on a TSB. This also requires that you bleed the breaks after. (something that you may otherwise not have to do.)

[Edited by Manifest on 04-08-2001 at 05:54 PM]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.