Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

Earlier I posted this message about my 1992 Mx6 in the 1st generation forum, but anarchyx34 suggest to post it here, since my European '92 is a US '93. Anyway, you might run into the message twice. There we go.....

My 1992 Mazda Mx-6 2.5i is experiencing brake problems. July 2000, the front discs (I believe you call it rotors) and brake shoes (pads) were replaced (does the MX-6 has two sets of discs per wheel?). After three months (October 2000), the car was really shaking while braking, indicating that something was not in order with the brakes again. I returned the car to the dealer, who replaced the discs and shoes again (warranty, good for me)! They told me I was a very prowerful driver and as such, the brakes were worn out (?). Note that from July - October I drove 3500 miles. Imagine, I drove 3500 miles with a new set of discs and brake shoes! How is that possible? On the contrary to what the dealer says, I'm absolutely not a powerfull driver. Anyway, even after replacing the discs in October, the car is experiencing problems again i.e. when pushing the brakes firmly (not ABS), the red brake light on my dash flashes, indicating that the discs or shoes again need to be replaced.....? Or does it mean something else? What comes to mind now: the rear discs and shoes were not replaced (not in July, not in October), so that's where the problem might be. Anyway, please let me know if you have any idea what's going on here. Do I need to replace everyting again, or?

Thank's for your comments so far!

Sincerely, Gerard Nijsse

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
nijsse said:
My 1992 Mazda Mx-6 2.5i is experiencing brake problems. July 2000, the front discs (I believe you call it rotors) and brake shoes (pads) were replaced (does the MX-6 has two sets of discs per wheel?).
Each roadwheel has one (1) caliper, two (2) pads and one (1) rotor for braking (assuming 4 wheel disc brakes, which your car will have.)

After three months (October 2000), the car was really shaking while braking, indicating that something was not in order with the brakes again. I returned the car to the dealer, who replaced the discs and shoes again (warranty, good for me)! They told me I was a very prowerful driver and as such, the brakes were worn out (?). Note that from July - October I drove 3500 miles. Imagine, I drove 3500 miles with a new set of discs and brake shoes! How is that possible?
The shuddering you are experiencing is caused by warped rotors. As they rotate past the pads, being clamped tightly by the caliper, the warpage causes a momentary increase in braking power. Repeated every wheel rotation, you feel this as a shake or shudder.

It's not likely the pads themselves are worn completely at this point though they may be heat damaged.

On the contrary to what the dealer says, I'm absolutely not a powerfull driver.
Warped rotors can be caused by several things:

- abuse
- cheap rotor material
- thin rotors
- defective caliper and/or slider pins
- defective rear brakes
- driver riding the brakes

Abuse is a pretty general term, but typically means braking "hard" all the time, waiting till the last second to brake to a stop or even taking the car racing.

Cheap rotors can experience worse warping than factory-issue parts because they've been cast from substandard grades of iron.

Thin rotors, those which have been "trued" on a brake lathe, have less material over which to distribute heat and can warp quickly as a result.

Caliper pistons or sliders that are stuck can cause the pads to rub against the rotor constantly, generating heat and warping.

If the rear brakes aren't working properly (e.g. seized calipers), they aren't contributing their share of the braking and so the front brakes must that much harder.

If you or someone else driving the car "rides the brakes" - drive with your foot on the brake pedal - this can also generate alot of excess heat.

You can help mitigate one warping vector by doing this: when you come to a stoplight, say, let the car roll forward or backward slowly (as traffic & pedestrians permit). This helps prevent the now-hot brake rotor from cooling unevenly: the parts exposed to the air will cool faster than the parts trapped between the pads in the caliper. Letting it roll a bit allows the whole rotor to see cooling air.

Anyway, even after replacing the discs in October, the car is experiencing problems again i.e. when pushing the brakes firmly (not ABS), the red brake light on my dash flashes, indicating that the discs or shoes again need to be replaced.....? Or does it mean something else?
The first thing to do when you see this is to top up the brake fluid in the reservoir. bring it right up to the "full" mark. That light is telling you the fluid level sensor in the reservoir is becoming uncovered under braking (when the fluid in the reservoir moves to the front of the reservoir).

What comes to mind now: the rear discs and shoes were not replaced (not in July, not in October), so that's where the problem might be.
Rear brake, especially on a front-heavy FWD car like the MX6, tend to wear quite slowly compared to the front brakes, which do the lions share of the braking. You might have to replace the front brakes every, say, 70000KM but do the backs once every 120000KM or so.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know that the red brake light on your dash you were talking about means that one of your brake lights is out. A while a go my third braking light on my back dash did this and it would come on every time I hit the brake.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
On another note......

My rear brake light comes on and off as well.. I checked all the bulbs and everything is fine.. I'm about 5 seconds away from wripping that bulb off. I don't think it's related to my brake problem because it started WAY before I even experienced the first problem with the brakes...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts