Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i am slowing from about 60-70 if i press the brakes the front of the car shimmys, and the harder i press it starts to really shake...is this most likely a problem with warped rotors? if i let off the brakes it stops.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i had that problem and my rotor was warped. you can get them shaved down a little but make sure they are not to bad or they cant do it. they will not take off but so much. i just bought crossdrilled ones.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Make sure you go to a reputable mechanic that will actually measure the thickness of the rotor and see if it's ok to shave. Some of them don't care and just shave them anyways and then they're so thin that it decreases the car's braking ability. Ohh and if you're gonna get aftermarket rotors, go for slotted not cross drilled. Cross drilled rotors warp very VERY easily... trust me, I have them on still and they suck now that they'r about 2 years old.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
JPMX6GT said:
Make sure you go to a reputable mechanic that will actually measure the thickness of the rotor and see if it's ok to shave. Some of them don't care and just shave them anyways and then they're so thin that it decreases the car's braking ability. Ohh and if you're gonna get aftermarket rotors, go for slotted not cross drilled. Cross drilled rotors warp very VERY easily... trust me, I have them on still and they suck now that they'r about 2 years old.
that sucks to know man. i wish i knew this before i got mine. mine are fine now. i hope they last.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
isnt probetalk doing a BB on slotted rotors and green pads right now?

G

·
Had the same problem on mine. After the dealer replaced the front wheel bearings on the car, it had a terrible vibration/shudder when I braked. Took it back and they said it was grease on the brake pads. Eventually found out that they didn't put the discs back the way it came off. This can cause a shudder, because the disc is slightly misaligned than before.

Had front discs skimmed off and it is now better than it's ever been. The best way is to skim the discs on the car. Otherwise you get the misalignment problem again if you remove them. After you've skimmed them on the car, mark the disc and wheel bolt, so that when you do remove the discs, you can put them back in the same position again.

What I can suggest you do is:
- Remove your brake pads and clean them with alcohol
- Put them back, and if the shudder is gone, replace your brake pads. Grease, oil and brake fluid goes into your pad and you can never get everything out.
- If the shudder is still there, I recommend skimming your discs.
- If your discs is too worn out, then you can't skim them cause there just isn't enough material left and you have to buy new discs.

The reason discs starts to shudder is warping of the disc. This happens when it is nice and hot and then cooled down rapidly. This happens when your brakes are hot and you drive through a large puddle of water, which splashes on the discs or when you wash your car after driving and you pour water on the discs.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts