Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a broken door handle, I assume this is due to over use.

Anyone know how to fix it?

The car is sold and won't pass roadworthy without the handle working. MX6's are uncommon at wreckers and the chances of finding a red one are slim to nil.... So I will need to repair the old one.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Are mx6 ones different to 626's and telstars? I reckon one of those wouldnt be that hard?

Have you tried mazda, im sure they would charge a small (or large) fortune though.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MX6 door handle's are different.

And it's Sunday, it happen 5 minutes ago. Car is booked in to get the roadworthy on Wednesday, I am working all day Mon and Tue.

See why I'm screwed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
one of the two 10mm bolts that hold the handle on may be loose or missing. Remove the door panel and verifify if its actually loose or broken. If its broken you may be able to have the pieces welded (try a muffler for welding). Also I just fixed my Nissans door handle that would only open from the inside. There was a rod that pushes down on the lever that releases the latch that opens the door.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
most likely it part of hte door handle thats broken, you can either weld the part back on, or buy a replacement from mazda, it would cost ya about 250 smacks and pre painted in red, i noe coz i had to get one

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I dunno which part of your handle broke but with mine, it's the part which holds the pivot join to unlach the lock. The butt end head piece snapped off.

All i did was drill a pilot hole than rethreaded that path. Put a washer and screw in and it's held up well for over 6months.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
door handle

ViNcEnXo said:
MX6 door handle's are different.

Color wouldn't be an obstacle, but if you come across a 626 or Telstar, I'll bet they could work in a pinch.
The best thing to do would be pull the interior door panel as suggested and see what is actually broke. Necessity is the mother of invention. A little ingenuity may get it working !

G

·
Re: door handle

johniebgoode said:
Color wouldn't be an obstacle, but if you come across a 626 or Telstar, I'll bet they could work in a pinch.
The best thing to do would be pull the interior door panel as suggested and see what is actually broke. Necessity is the mother of invention. A little ingenuity may get it working !
They actually don't fit.Different sizes, you would have to cut your door I believe.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Re: Re: door handle

FlySwat said:
They actually don't fit.Different sizes, you would have to cut your door I believe.
Not to mention that all the mechanisms are different.

BTW the crap pot metal the door handle is made of does not like to weld. Sometimes the latch breaks and sometimes the door handle metal itself tears. If it's the latter, you're in for a new door handle.
Go in the for sale forum and make a post. You will save a lot more than buying from the dealership and you may even find one in the color you need...

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
marolf101x - Could I get a copy of those pics...

email to tripharn @ hotmail.com (no spaces obviously)

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is there somewhere online that I can buy a new door handle? My drivers side is broken (piece of the aluminum assembly broke off)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks.

I had the door apart earlier tonight and verified what was broken. I'll call the stealership tomorrow for price & availability.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Is there somewhere online that I can buy a new door handle? My drivers side is broken (piece of the aluminum assembly broke off)
Within a month of getting my car back from a new colour respray, my drivers door handle broke in the same manner as you are describing.

So what i ended up doing was repairing my broken handle.

If you were to describe the part as being dog leg in shape. What i did was brace the side of it with some metal. Extending way past the broken region.
Then using a small drill bit and rivets, i riveted the part back together.
Its basically a splint thats the same shape as the hammer that unlocks the door.

This has been working for the last 12 months and so far, no signs of it coming apart as yet.

I only did this, because i couldn't be stuffed colour matching a new handle to the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on mazdapartscheap.com.

I found this there...

Door, Glass and hardware, Handle outside, By color, By color Left
Your Price: $112.08

Shipping and/or handling is extra, although I'm not sure how much yet. I have a wholesale account with my local dealer and they were able to come very close to this price, with no shipping needed, so I'm gonna go with them instead.

Thanks again for the info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts