Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, The last owner of my car broke his key in my driver side door lock and never fixed it so I have to unlock it from the passenger side (pain in the a$$). Just wondering if any of you have been able to take the lock out yourself and remove the broken key. I assume you have to remove the inside door panel and sh*t. Is it DIY or can I really screw up the inside door panels or something. Or should I get the locks from Mazda dealer (need new trunk lock too-damn)

Thinking about getting keyless entry installed too (not myself though). How is it working out for anyone in colder climats.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I don't know about removing the lock cylinders, but taking off the door panel is a piece of cake. There are three screws in the door panel, one toward the door jam, one in the door release thingy and one underneath the felt in the door handle hole. After that, there is a keeper pin on the rear edge of the door, several rivet type attachments at the bottom and voila you're in(you just pull the bottom and they pop out). You do have to disconnect two connectors, but thats pretty self explanatory. I know my keys are pretty soft, so I am pretty cautious with them.

·
Registered
475 Posts
buy a really thin magnet or take a magnet and magnatize something like a thin screw driver or nail. Then see if u can possibly pick up the broken key in the lock and get it out. Just a thought, would probably save u money if it worked.

G

·
I broke my key off in the lock too... I bought a very very fine pair of needle nose pliers ($12 CDN) and I had no problems pulling the broken half out.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
YES!!! good ol needle nose pliers... electricians best friend...j/k

also you can go to a locksmith place and buy whats called a key extractor kit. designed to do just that...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts