Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Melvin. I have a 93 MX 6 with the KLO3 motor on it. I have added a cold air intake, KLZE intake manifold and brospeed headers. My next project is to change the ECU to a J-Spec and purchase a walbro 255 fuel pump and a walbro fuel regulator. I think the engine will be able to be producing around 240 HP but at the wheel I will not know cause I have never dyno my car. Do u think my calculations are right, they are as follows

170 HP stock, (167 HP + Advance timing)
20 - Ported KLZE Intake Manifold
20 - Brospeed Headers
5 - High Flow Cat
15 - Cold Air Intake + Exhaust
15* - JSpec ECU + pump + regulator

Can some of the experienced guys tell them if I am near there or am I over my head.

Melvin

Happy Holidays Everyone

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
your calculations are off........
what u say____________________________(closer to what it is)
170 HP stock, (167 HP + Advance timing)~(164hp)
20 - Ported KLZE Intake Manifold~(15hp with port matched heads)
20 - Brospeed Headers~(5-7)
5 - High Flow Cat~(3-5)
15 - Cold Air Intake + Exhaust~(5-10)
15* - JSpec ECU + pump + regulator~(10)

so u wouldnt have 240 hp at the FW it would be closer to 200-210hp maybe less..... check out streetthismx6's mod list(what he had a month ago its currently changing pretty drastically i believe), it was about the same as yours plus bored TB and KLZE cams and probally a couple other things, and he was making ~185hp at the wheels. also, with his awesome driving skill, some weigh redux and slicks, he was running 13.5's in the 1/4 mile N/A

also what do u mean timing advance? i hope ur not talking about the chips they sell on ebay. you cant advance the timing on the KL03, its controlled by the ECU and the knock sensor.

·
Registered
372 Posts
That is the typical thing i would hear from the ricer guys around my town, "I have an intake(ends up been just a CAI to boot) on my car that adds 20 hp and the exhaust added like 30(and that usally is just a mufller)...so i guess now my car makes over 200 hp. Na, it does not work like that...all the ads you see for parts that make this much more power then the stock parts are misleading. Their Intake may make....say 22 more horses, but this on on a hopped up engine that has tons or work done to it, like a full ehaust, or maybe even open headers, cam(s), head work, turning, more boost etc. That engine NEEDS the better intake. Engine are nothing but Air Pumps if you think about it. All the parts on the engine need to work together to make to most power out of what you have.... The two biggest makers of power for most engines is the head and cam. PERIOD. Get those two right and base the rest of the engine around it. Even tho turbo and super charger can make more power when bolted on to a engine, just think what one would do bolted onto and engine with head and cam work.....:eek:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
First off a jspec ecu won't help you at all.

a VRtuner or a reburned chip is much better. The fuel cmap would more than likely make your car run rich and make less power.

And you'll be lucky with all those mods to break the 190hp mark.

And that's 190 at the flywheel. That is assuming your engine is in excellent shape and has perfect compression. Now let's exmaine your so called estimations again

170 HP stock, (167 HP + Advance timing)
First off the engine puts out 164hp stock and no advance timing will add anything but BULL**** to the car.

20 - Ported KLZE Intake Manifold
You'll be making maybe 10-15hp if it was port matched to the head with a VRtuner or reburned VRIS points.

20 - Brospeed Headers
5 - High Flow Cat
15 - Cold Air Intake + Exhaust
All of that stuff put together along with the IM might give you an additional 10 on top of the IM.

15* - JSpec ECU + pump + regulator
That is almost completely useless to your case. The jspec ECU would only add that much if you had a full KLZE runnning the 10:1 compression with all the JE-50. It won't add jack to your car assuming you have the VRIS point already correctly programmed.

So in reality, we see maybe 190hp at the FW.

NEVER EVER do that "ricer addition" stuff. You must remember that these mods work in conjuction with each other and adding all of them together isn't a realistic way of putting things. All of those mods together might give you 25hp if your lucky. You must also remmeber that anything wrong with the engine would also reduce these numbers. And each engine response to mods differently. The only way to know is to Dyno your car, everything else is pretty much useless. You can also run it on a track to somewhat guesstimate the power output in relatioin to weight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting Replies

It's good to know these replies. But honestly I think my car has more than 190HP, reasons being because of the climate that I live in. In Toronto now, its winter, the weather is alot colder, so the car is performing alot better. I think once I tune the VRIS system the car will also be quicker. After 4000 rpms the accerlates really good.

Regards,
Melvin

·
Registered
979 Posts
The thing you seem to forget is that many of us here know the car very well. I, for example have the FULL ZE and am nowhere close to 240 at the wheels. Don't you think if I could have done much smaller mods than a whole engine swap to gain the power I (and many others on the board) would have? I know right now you might be thinking maybe you have a factory freak, which might put you to 190 at the crank if you're lucky on those mods. With this car at 240hp, a quarter mile will be in the low 13s. My suggestion to you is to dyno your car and make a pass in the quarter. Please prove us wrong. We love to hear about our car kicking ass.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Concerns the ZE Individual

I think you miss understood me. I didn't say 240 at the wheels. I said the motor generating 240. But I agree that the car is no where near that mark. But I disagree it is at 190 at the flywheel, I beleive it is greater than that.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I don't know dude. No offense but you're debating with people who know their stuff. Parisifal is a very smart dude. He'd definately be my number one info source if I had a 4 banger. And he's certainly very knowledgable about the V6 as well. Aussomea is the same, another very smart member. I tend to agree that your gains would more likely yield somwhere around 190 hp at the flywheel. I'm in a cold climate too, but I certainly don't think that is gouing to help my hp numbers the way you seem to.

And motown, 240 should be in the 12's. Christ, StreetthisMX6 is in the mid 13s with a lot less hp then that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting

When I said over 190 at the flywheel because of weather I was thinking in the range of 200-205 not 240. I am sorry if I confused everyone.

Melvin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts