Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok before everyone screams this is in the wrong section i know i know but its aussie's only! :)

one thing i've been wanting for a long time is a short shift kit for the good ol gen 1 MX6.

So far as NOPI has been able to tell me its fine for australia delivered right hand drive MX6's but I'm still nagging for definate confirmation of that.

now normally its about $62 US plus about $75 US for shipping... but they also said they would be happy sending them to one address (i don't care if its not mine)... which would mean with a group of say 5 people we would be looking at around 160-180 a shifter instead of 280! big differance.

I'm also trying to organise a discount for 5 at once but before i get to involved i'd just like a bit of a show of hands as to what everyone thinks and also numbers, not to mention if anyone knows where this kit could be had locally (within australia) and how much?

also anyones experiences with dealing with NOPI - I've only bought once before - a clutch master cylinder... i got it brand new for the price of a reco one here in aus from ABS.

ok everyone the balls in your court now - let me know!

thanks

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kewl thanks man - and yes it should be fine - your only changing the stick - the linkages are still basically the same... so as far as i can tell i'm also 99.99% sure its a bolt in part... good to get some feed back so soon - and yes its the pacesetter one - from what i have heard its by far the best

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a word of warning; when it comes to the import (if that's the way you go) it may be cheaper to go with individual shipments. 5 shifters in one package will look like a 'commercial shipment' to Customs who will probably hit you for duty, GST & clearence charges!
Suggest you get them mailed individually but ordered & paid for in one hit.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good idea.... but the shipping is actually dearer then the shifter by about $15 US! perhaps we should cut it back to 3 - less of a cost saving but probably better for all? we can surely get 3 people together easily, it can be argued for personal use still.... any suggestions? anyone know where it can be bought locally still?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also anyone know if perhaps we could get an eingeering shop to perhaps make them... relitively simple item.... i pulled my original one out today and its got me tempted to visit a few companies... except its hard when you can't drive without it lol. i'll have to visit a wreckers first...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Getting them made locally sounds like a cool idea, it would be good if we could get hold of a pacesetter for them to copy though, I'd prefer the adjustable style shifter.

Would it be hard getting something like the Delrin ball thingy made?

It also opens up the possibility of flogging off a few to probers and mx-6ers in the US to help cover our costs?
The low Aussie $ would actually help then.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol panik! exactly what i have been thinking... has to be pretty cheap tho.. the pacesetter is like $65US... so would have to be made for somewhere around $60-$80 australian to even make it remotely worthwhile... but something still worth considering lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
$60-80 sounds a bit low?, I'd be willing to pay $100 or so, to get something Better than the pacesetter shifter, the last thing anyone needs is the shaft snapping in half because of a dodgey weld.

I saw on probetalk, someone who had cut and welded a stock shifter, that cost him about $5 or something, but I don't want something like that.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
by 60 - 80 i mean it would have to be that cheap to make it worth exporting...

·
Registered
539 Posts
I would be interested in getting one if it can be sourced locally and for below $100. I will give a call to a few places I know here in Adelaide that might make it for us.

On another note, anyone here know where we can get bodykits for the 1st gen's?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Anyone for front strut & rear sway bars?

Since we are ont he topic of getting short shifters, I might as well ask if anyone would be interested in organising a bulk buy of Whiteline front strut bars and rear sway bars?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shifters first for me.... then we'll see about round two i think...

i only have two requests for the shifters...

it must be short throw - and i mean short - shorter the better - the standard one is like a donkey's **** lol

and second it must be low.... as low as possible - also threaded like our standard ones - i don't wanna turf my sports ear knob!

i'll be makeing queries... so far i have one place interested but they want me to pull my shifter our for them to have a good look at it...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well if u've beed reading the board i've been having a sort of a bad run with the car ATM and its been taking the backburner for a lil while (the shifter that is) but as soon as i get mobile again i'll be chasing it agian... i do have my eyes and ears open tho - and am still asking plenty of question... anyone else had luck?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Pacesetter Shifter

Guys,

If you interested in trying to make one local, I have a Pacesetter Short Shift Kit sitting at home.

I ordered it from Carparts when they had a special and landed it here for around $170.

If you guys can find someone who can make a copy I'm happy to supply my one as a model, it hasn't found its way into the car yet(only got it last week)

So long as I get it back of course.... :)

Pete

Forgot to mention, I'm in Sydney...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
definately sounds good - too good to be true!

anyone in sydney want to look into this further??

thanks peter

btw, $170 landed here!? how did u manage that? how much was the freight?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Short Shift

I waited till Carparts had a 30% off special coupon available.

Freight was a killer at around $80 AUS, but all up it was like $174 which isn't too bad.

The kit appears to be well made, as far as I can see...

Pete

1 - 20 of 39 Posts