Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have looked for but cannot find an MX6 bumper removal How-To thread. Can anyone help in this department?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
front or rear?

I just spent an hour removing a rear one so I can tell you how to do that, front one is easy.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
This is from the book

The bumper is mounted on the bracket which is mounted to the car.

If your replacing bits I have the complete front set of mounting brackets

Mark

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
that looks like an a-spec diagram but the principle is the same.

Start by removing the front black plastic cowling that covers the gap between the bumper and slam panel. its held on with stupid plastic screws.

Then remove the indicators by unscrewing the clamp at the top and sliding each one out. Twist the bulbs out.

Then undo the 10mm bolts holding each headlight in place, there are 4 at the front and 1 at the back which is a pain to get to. unplug the wiring on each light.

Using a philips screwdriver unscrew the fog lights and unplug them.

Unscrew the number plate and holder if it is being swapped over.

The car should now look like this

Next, starting at the bottom of the bumper near the wheel, remove any screws on the bottom edge that hold the inner wing lining to the bumper. There may also be a small bar/connecting rod which holds the bumper in place.

Now start pressing the inner wing lining away from the bumper until it is free and you should reveal a screw where the bumper meets the wing. Remove it.

Repeat this on the other side of the car.

There are now only 4 (i think) bolts holding the bumper on, 2 each side of the radiator on the mounts. They are 14mm. Undo all 4 and gently start moving the bumper away until it is free.

If you need to remove the bumper bar and transfer it to another bumper its held on with 4 bolts on the back of the bar.

it should now look like this

Thats how I do it. Usually takes about 20 mins for me but sometimes the screws on the corners can be a pain so its hand to have a hacksaw or cordless drill handy if they wont budge.

Hope this helps mate.

·
Registered
939 Posts
great little write up.. but i dont believe you need to remove the fog lights on aspec since they are not impediung the bumper from coming out...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
theyre not, but its not a good idea to trash the chrome surrounds when taking the bumper off and for the sake of 4 screws its worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts