Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes the dreaded igniter issue has befallen me, and I've wired new ignitor and got everything together..problem is, I didn't mark where the rotor was when removed. Can I bump the engine w/ #1 plug pulled to get piston up or do I have to remove disty and turn crankshaft manually.
Engine cranks but won't start. Everything else looks fine. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
the rotor only fits in one way. if it still isnt starting, you might have not wired it correctly (check ground. I just wired mine to the neg terminal) Or you could have a dud to begin with

·
Registered
790 Posts
yea probably your wiring i did the same thing and it took me like 3 days to figure it out

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Bumping the starter will turn the engine, but it would take you quite a bit of luck to get it where you want it for position. You're better off simply turning the engine with a socket on the crank pulley instead - no need to remove disty.

Be sure to disconnect the power to the ignition system when doing this - wouldn't want you to inadvertently start the car this way, as unlikely as that is - better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I agree with schwinn. I was in the middle of a dist. swap and lost TDC. I bumped it until I found TDC. It was tough because I did it by myself. Its easier if you have someone to bump the key and someone under the hood.

I had to use a long thin magnetic tool. I put it in #1 (magnetic side up) and bumped it through the cycle until I figured out what the peak was. Again it is easy to pass it up......mostly luck!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts