Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everybody's car burn alot of oil?? My car does not leak oil anywhere but everythime I check the oil, it's always low. In the past week and a half it burned over a quart of oil! What would cause it to burn so much oil?

·
Registered
375 Posts
It depends. Mine burns a quart every 3000 miles, which is normal for an old car, but you burned more than a quart in one week which is not normal. Your valve seals or ring seals might be leaking, mabye even your turbo. Id have it checked out by a mechanic, hope I helped.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I Do

i had a similiar problem awhile back, i just stopped checking it. just joking man, but mine does burn some oil now, i call it the dissapearing oil trick. if i new how to link a post i would for you man. try doing a search on a topic called "The Dissapearing Oil Trick", i belive there is some good advice there.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Are you using synthetic? Usually, when using synthetics, they burn more, especially if you are always getting on it. When I started using Mobile 1, it began using oil.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
burning oil

SOMETIMES WHEN YOU ARE BURNING OIL YOU CA GO TO A PARTS STORE AND PICK UP SOME MARVEL MYSTERY OIL, ABOUT FOUR BUCKS, I PUT IT IN MY GIRLS 92 LASER AND IT CUT OUT OIL BURNING, AND SOME LEAKING

·
Registered
405 Posts
i use the regular mobil 10w30. i just bought some marvel mystery oil. waiting on a oil change to put it in. maybe it can get rid of my ticking sound up front.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Probably valve seals. Mine burns about the same. Mine is definetly valve seals. Warm up the engine, let it idle for a while and then give it some gas. Check for a smoke cloud. If so, probably valve seals. It will leak down and when you give some throttle it'll start burning it off. Mine is only noticable from stop and starts(stop lights, stop signs).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told by a couple friends that when I get on the throttle, they see some blueish smoke come out of my exhaust pipe. And even though I never see any oil leaking anywhere, there is a pretty strong smell of it around the car after I get out of it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If it only burns when you're getting on it, from what i've been told it could be your rings getting worn. Whenever I let off the gas in my car after revving it, a cloud will come out, and it's because the seals in my turbo are bad. I got lucky and found out there's a turbo shop here! :D
I won't have to send the turbo to Waco after all.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Mine dosent burn any, and I use Mobil synth. blend.

BTW, Tuffmazda. Marvel Mystery oil wont help oil consumption/leakage. If anything it may make it worse due to it's detergent qualities. Oh and and PLEASE TURN THE CAPS LOCK OFF. Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
$hit so if I'm hearing right, I could be starting some serious problems??

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
As told above; check your turbo hoses going to the throttle body. See if there is a lot of oil in there. If there IS; then the oil seal on the turbo is gone and it just needs a rebuild. About $350 for the rebuild and the labor to change it out.

If it is not the turbo; it is either your valve seals or your rings. Valve seals can be changed quite easily; and do not require pulling the entire engine. If it is the rings; then a rebuild might be in order. After you have checked the turbo; do a compression test on each cyl. They should all be about 140-150. If one is lower; then you can test to see if it is the valves or rings by putting some motor oil in the cyl and re-test the compression (I think this is called a leakdown test). If the compression goes up; it is most likely your rings; if it stays the same valves.

Read up here or on probetalk how to do a compression test.

Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts