Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I've been over to the 1st gen side. Got to ask you guys 4 advice on this one. My neighbour is giving me his 626 turbo, 4 drs, 5spd, digital dash, (which is sooo cool.) Anything I should be aware off? It's apparently A1 condition except for an altenator.

G

·
What year is the car? W/a digital dash, I assume it's a mid-to-late 80's model.

I had an 86 626 GT Turbo which I LOVED. Adjustable sport vs normal suspension, 2.0L - hatchback perfect for boomy bass. Only drawback was the small Turbo didn't really seem to give it much kick. A few upgrades woulda been fun. But then... who wants to upgrade a 4-door wagon? I gave it away to a friend when the timing belt fell off and I didn't want to mess with it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ist gen626

These cars, even with turbos are one of the really great unknown little secrets of the used car world. They are just about as tough and reliable as used Toyota Corollas, and Camry's, but the 2.2turbo engine can give them performance that will pace some of the best sport sedans (or hatch-backs made today), if all this car needs is an alternator, go for it. They should have timeing belts replaced at 90 @ 180K, but other than that if the car was taken care of, its easily reliable for 200-300'thous. kilometers.

·
Registered
367 Posts
626-Reliability

Ya, sorry Smachan, just a little International standards comfusion going on here. See our Star-Treck Next Generation measuring units are a little different than yours on distance (milage/ vs. kilometers measurements). Your belt replacement numbers however are are right on in miles, gee you really know your stuff, thats excellent, are you married?

Sorry to get off topic!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would just like to add that it is not a wagon....dammit
@-
I like to refer to it as a 5 door.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Buying 1st gen mx-626

Long discussions with techs. at two dealerships here in Calgary, suggest these cars are tough and reliable. Problems? A tendancy to losen or break exhaust manifold studs, plug wires breaking down due to high heat (they sit just above the turbo if aplic.).
My own 89'?, 105K miles, zero oil burning, timing belt 58K miles, alternater 90K miles, first new clutch, at 100K miles, replaced orginal drive axles at 95K miles (were absolut. perfect until I let the boots split),intermediate exhaust ( cat. to muffler) replaced and upgraded), tires, 2 replacements since new. Thats it, all other original equipment on the car (loaded), works perfectly, except the power antenna.
Hope this offers good insight, from an orginal owner that has driven the car for 12 years (about 99% regular duty,& 1% as sleeper).

·
Registered
110 Posts
never underestimate the power of a mazda.
my best friend has a 5 door 626 and it kills mustangs and z28 regulalry with minor upgrades.the 2.2 turbo is unreal.
as everyone has said just change fluids and timing belt and a little tlc and u have a killer.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
what mods does he have on his 5door.....does he get much respect?

What do you think about the 5door?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have seen any 5 doors here in SA town......

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bought it yesterday. Quick little thing. I bought for a winter car seeing as though it's already been driven in the winter before and it's a Mazda...........with a TURBO }) , I think it will be alright. I love the colour (silver), and the digital dash, and the 4 doors which will be a nice change from having to slide front seats forward to let people get in the back. Thanx to all you guys for your helpfull and knowledgable opinionsXO

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is it a hatchback?
You should post a picture of it!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No it's not a hatchback, it's a sedan, and I'm trying to see if I can get a picture posted now. (it may take a while)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Instead of having to buy a winter car you should move somewhere warmer.. like Georgia! :D

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
4 door? So lemme guess. It's an '89, auto tranny, white with blue interior, and 4ws.

·
Registered
367 Posts
626 buyer!

A simple tip for HP and believe it or not fuel economy! Dropping in a K&N Filter into my stock airbox immediately resulted in about a 10-15% improvement in fuel economy in my 626Turb. Don't eally have a good explaination, except that maybe it is because its the same air intake system as the non-turbo models, and allows the engine to pick-up a disprop. amount of breathing and efficiency. It my also have enhanced performance as well, but that would be stopwatch/racing stuff.

P.S. With a turbo and lots of torque happening at very low rpm (much lower than V-6 Mazdas), you may want to budget for a REALLY good set of winter tires!})

1 - 17 of 17 Posts