Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I called a junkyard around my area and they have a wrecked 89' Probe GT and they are willing to trade me their Manual Transmission (all mounts, clutch, shifter, ect) in exchange for my Automatic Transmission (and all mounts, shifter, ect.). The Probe has 79k miles on it and it comes with a 90 day warranty. My MX-6 has 116k on the tranny and shifts perfect. I'm just wondering if this is a good trade and exactly what all parts do I need from the probe to successfully do this swap? I'm not intending to do this myself; I'm having a mechanic do the swap.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No, they won't do the swap for me. I might as well buy the 90 MX-6 GT that I've been looking at the longest time.

-110,000 miles
-manual transmission (rebuilt w/30,000 on it)
-brand new clutch
-new exhaust (2")
-body is in excellent condition (no rust, dings)

The problems that it has are bad rings (compression is around 45 all four cylinders and it still starts/runs after cranking it for 2-3 minutes!), driver side power window doesn't work (stuck all the way down), moonroof is messed up. . I just want the transmission and I don't have room for another car to sit in my driveway. But the $500 price tag isn't too shabby :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts