Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys must get this question alot, but im new to MX-6's. I am currently looking at buying an 88 5 speed turbo (sunroof). Is there anything that i should be looking out for when inspecting the car apart from the usual? What are some of the common problems associated with the car?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Welcome & good luck.

A couple of things might be...
noisey HLA's : (tappets, tick tick ticking from the head)
CV joints : turn full lock left and right under light/medium throttle and listen for clicking from the drive shafts.
4 wheel steer (if applicable) check rear wheels are turning.
excess gear stick slop : not a big problem in itself, but may have caused internal gearbox damage.
Turbo : make sure it's not too noisy on boost (2500rpm + ) sounds like a train if bearings are shot. If possible remove the hose between the turbo and air filter, poke your finger in onto the compressor wheel to check for 1) free rotation & 2) exess play side to side)

Normal things like brakes, suspension, steering ect.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks mate, the fact that its cheap is getting me worried that the car has some isues, but ill never know unless i check it out.

thanks
Steve

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
How cheap is CHEAP?

If possible also do a compression check (same as you should for any car purchase)
Clutch, check for slipping.
Check the coolant, it's sometimes a good way to check if the car has been looked after (green is good, brown is bad).
Check the power windows for good operation.

I really can't think of anything else. I've had my MX6 for 8years now, and it's been pretty reliable. I've had to replace a water pump, timing belt and little bits and pieces, nothing out of the ordinary for any other car.

Where in Queensland are you mate, someone local on the board might lend a hand.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks again mate, im in the North Brisbane area. How cheap is cheap? well this guy has advertised it for $2000. i have tried to contact him all day but i asume he is at work and cant pick up his moblie. the ad states that its complete but suit project car, which is ok as i wont be able to drive for about 1 month more, hence giving me time to work on it.

thanks Steve

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
$2000! I'll race you to it.

Where abouts in Nth Brissie do you live? I'm in Strathpine, there is a few ppl around here with 1st Gens.

Go the manual versions diffinately... Auto's suck ass... Maybe it has body damage or something.. or they stuffed up the ad on him :)

Tripharn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts