Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,
My name is nik and I am a newcomer to the boards. I would like to buy a six as my first car, I will be turning 17 in october. As I am sure many of you can relate, I am tight on a budget right now. It would make a thousand dollars or more difference if I bought a 93 compared to a 94 or 95. Could all you six experts advise me on where to go with this? From other posts I have learned that from 93-96 the six's didnt differ much. Thanks a lot.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey Nik! The MX6 is definitely an awesome car that will make your friends drool! I bought a '93 V6 MX-6 LS in March last year, and since then, I have had a few minor problems, and have had to replace the clutch (because I bought a standard) which cost me $800.00 Canadian. The body on my car is starting to rust on the sunroof especially, and also a little in the wheelwells and passenger doors. For this reason, if I were to be buying an MX6 right now, I would go with the '95. Also, be sure to get a manual transmission (if you don't know how to drive one, you'll learn quick!). With the manual, you get more horsepower, better fuel economy, and I also heard that the automatic transmissions in the
MX-6s suck! Hope this helps!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whatever you do, do not get an automatic. I've got a 95' auto and just had to pay $1000 to have the tranny rebuilt after 87,000 miles. Haven't heard of too many problems with the manuals though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
my friend has a 1993 LS automatic. I really wanted to buy it from him about a year ago but now im glad i didnt. I now have a 1995 LS 5-speed. The 5 speed is much faster than an automatic (about 1sec difference on a 0-60 race) Furthermore, the auto trannys do seem to go after a while. I personally believe 95 is the way to go over any other year for a second gen. There are no electrical problems (some are reported with 93/94) and it is the last year you can get a six with OBD-I and a nice candy apple red color.
There are other slight changes between both cars, but you'll have to see for yourself. Good luck

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive really heard of no difference between the 93,94 and 95's except that the 93/94's had a recall, because occassionally the care would quit. An electric glitch of some sort, you can read about it quit easily on the net. Mine hasnt had any serious problems, but, definatly go 5 spd.

I would say, go with what you can afford, it is only really minor differences between them I had the choice between mine, and a 95 when I was buying. I went with mine , because the body was much cleaner, and from the interior, and records, I could tell the car was babied.

Cheers,
Serapth
94 mx6 2.5

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was in your exact shoes three months ago then I found it, my baby. A '93 6 4-banger, with 53,000 miles on it. The body had sum problems but I know a guy at a body shot and after all repairs I paid 4800$. If you can find a low mileage vehicle such as mine grab it. I doubt you can even fin a 95 with that many miles. Anyways, you will loose hp in the tranny, but really a first car is not for racing so the reason you want the manual is that the auto is a shotty piece of crap and there is only one that fits in the car. The '93 is the fastest by a hair because it weighs less. But other than that there is not much difference between the years, maybe a few glitches, but anything they recalled you can get them to fix. So I would say get a white '93, I know it is not the coolest color, but hey the mazda/ford paint sucked so it will fade less. And have fun, I hope you get a lot of pretty little girlies in the back of your car man! G'night all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts