Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I bypass the ABS module as it is faulty and not economic to repair.

Can I simply run T-pieces to connect the inputs/outputs from the ABS module ?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I wasn't aware any of the 1G's even had ABS.

If you want to bypass it just unplug the fuse for the pump. ABS will only activate if it detects a difference in wheel speed needing the pump to turn on. Otherwise it will just sit there. Won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hihi Car is an '89 Ford Telstar - rebdged australian version, fully imported mazda 626 turbo.

I have unplugged the fuse ages ago - no problems until recently the front RHS brake locked up - I traced the pressure lock in the lines back to the ABS module. So it seems the ABS module needs to be bypssed.

I have access to the same model non turbo/ non abs car for parts - so am trying to swap things over to completely bypass the abs module.

Not much room working in there...

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
you might want to be careful with the legalities of bypassing the ABS....doing modifications like that can be a legal minefield....

If you really wanted to do it, you'd grab all the brake lines off an 88-89 model.

I deliberately bought my 89 model 2WS no ABS for a reason!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Well damn i feel stupid. I didn't think MX6's even had ABS till the '93 model.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Even the ford probe has ABS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okays - so, legal minefields aside....

I have retrieved the 6 way proportioner valve from a non abs model ( 2 lines in from master cylinder outputs to each of the 4 wheels) and put that in place of the 8 way adaptor that is on the abs model (4 inputs from abs module to each of 4 wheels)

Connecting the outputs was easy - as they are in the same place, I then carefully rerouted (ie bent) the lines which go from the master cylinder to the abs unit - these lines now go to the input holes on the non-abs 6way proportioning valve.

So, I have totally bypassed the abs in a hydraulic sense - not just pulled the fuse.

Result : Front RHS wheel no longer locks - yay. I have not yet road tested as I need to thoroughly bleed up the whole system. So, fingers crossed (legal minefield aside...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm still not really understanding what the ABS had to do with a locking wheel. Usuaully when they malfunction their default is to disable to not cause an accident.

Was the ABS pump turning on every time you hit the brakes or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Initially, I got a fault mode, and as you say, the abs just turns itself off. However, after stopping at traffic lights, the front wheel remained locked after taking my foot off the brake.

After I got it home, I initially thought the caliper piston had seized but no, and I replicated the locking by applying the brake and releasing. All I had to do to elease the brake was break the bleed nipple - brake fluid would squirt out and the brake would release. I tried breaaking the hydraulic line at the master cylinder - no effect. Ithen broke the line at the outlet side of the abs pump going to the offending wheel - fluid squirted out and the brake released. Breaking the hydraulic line at the inlet side of the abs pump had no effect. My conclusion was that something inside the abs pump was creating a one way lock in the line.

Anyway, as I say, I have bypassed the abs pump and the problem is resolved. I have road ttested the car and find peddle feel/response is better than it ever was - that is to say better than when the ABS was working.

I am told that if I can establish that the ABS was an option and not standard on my vehiclle, I can revert legally to a non abs system if that system be exactly as it would have come off the production line on a non abs vehicle.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
OK........

I'll accept it when i'm wrong. I'd say you did some pretty thorough testing. I'm also fairly certain that's the first time i have ever heard such a thing happen. Course these are automobiles and weird shit can happen every so few months.

I'll have to remember this scenario in case something like this ever happens along my mechanic days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can see this is a really old post but I found it while researching my problem. I found that the rear right brake wasn’t doing anything. It seemed like a blockage. I traced it all the way back to the abs pump. With the line for that brake removed and the port left openi pressed the brake pedal, no fluid came out of the abs unit but the pedal was hard and the other 3 brakes worked ok.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Then that solenoid is not opening, Disconnect all harness connection at the ABS unit (this will register a fault with the ABS light and takes a factory dealership device to erase as do all ABS codes), if all four brakes work the solenoid is functional and it's an electronic problem, if the rear right doesn't lock its a seized solenoid or a blocked passage.)
Without adding codes:
You can test the solenoid at the harness connection by delivering 12v and ground to the appropriated wires, if the solenoid is operational and not seized shut (I will assume the ABS solenoids are normally opened and receive a voltage to pulse closed), check the voltage applied to it. If it's constant 12V+ than the ABS ecm is malfunctioning or a relay or a sensor. otherwise there could be a blockage in the abs Block it acts as a proportioning 2 lines from the master divide to 4, through the ABS unit.
If the solenoid operates and you don't want to diagnose why I recommend disconnecting the 12V supply to both rear caliper ABS solenoids and only running the front or all 4 and run none. To diagnose you need a workshop manual and more.
ABS is a horrible invention, anyone who knows how to drive, doesn't panic and uses non ABS brakes can stop a car faster, anyone who can't should be driving. When ABS came out head on collisions increased. Now the same idiots who couldn't pay attention and couldn't use the brakes properly could turn the vehicle and of course they didn't go for the shoulder they went for the oncoming traffic lane.
Auto Apocalipse says No more ABS, No more automatic transmissions, No more power steering, No more traction control, , No more lane departure, No more brake assist, No more No more bad drivers.
In Ontario Canada they post signs that ask motorist to report impaired driving, I never call the number because I would have to report 90% of motorists for skill impaired, logic impaired, common sense impaired, awareness impaired and mentally impaired driving.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts