Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone swapped the engine for klze in california and had problems with the smog? I need a valve job or replace the engine. Any tips will help.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
might help if you posted in the 2nd gen section rather than in the for sale section

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
aficionado - the engine swap you're proposing isn't a valid one in cali, regardless of engine year. the ZE makes no provisions for the EGR (exhaust gas recirc) system, so you're technically failed right because of that.

With that said -0 plenty have swapped in a ZE, and passed a sniffer without the EGR hooked up (plugged, however)

If your mx6 is OBDII (96+) then you're kind of stuck, as you'll be throwing codes related to the swap, and that too will automatically fail you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no hope

aficionado - the engine swap you're proposing isn't a valid one in cali, regardless of engine year. the ZE makes no provisions for the EGR (exhaust gas recirc) system, so you're technically failed right because of that.

With that said -0 plenty have swapped in a ZE, and passed a sniffer without the EGR hooked up (plugged, however)

If your mx6 is OBDII (96+) then you're kind of stuck, as you'll be throwing codes related to the swap, and that too will automatically fail you.
That's a bummer. I really want to put klze but I don't want to get stuck with an unsmogged investment. My mechanic friend is confident that it can be done although it will not be simple. The only thing is how to do it and I need as much info on what problems I would encounter, any extra parts, modications needed ect.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
always possible. people have welded an egr pipe for making their ZE mani on DE engine smog legal.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
the ZE intake manifold is missing an EGR runner compared to the DE. It will need to be welded on. I forget who did it before, but I've seen pics around here, might be in the ZE manifold faq or something. That needs to be done before EGR works correctly even with the egr valve, etc. hooked up

why dont you just swap over the EGR crap? swap your klde rear exhaust manifold over and what not...

·
Registered
53 Posts
why go through all that when you can fork out some dough and it wlii be passed regardless of its condition mine passed for 220 after 4 failed attempts of passing legitly and the last time it failed it was a gross polluter!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
is that legal? :p

why go through all that when you can fork out some dough and it wlii be passed regardless of its condition mine passed for 220 after 4 failed attempts of passing legitly and the last time it failed it was a gross polluter!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
think of what you're saying. if it were possible to make a DE run like or better than a ZE, then why would people go through all the trouble of even swapping a ZE in? if it were easier, wouldn't eveyone do that instead?

would it be easier to make the DE run like or better than the ZE? it has to be doable?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have a ZE and let me tell you, a DE is no substitute unless you have FI. Get 1/2" plumbing fittings, some flexible copper tubing, some exhaust sytem join & crack sealer, and the EGR is set as far as the piping goes. You will have to drill some holes in the IM/head for the EGR system to work 100% though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts