Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am in the process of changing my headgasket and I broke the same little "water thermo valve" on my intake manifold that you did.

I read the thread about that and you said you finally found one that opens at 133 degrees.

I don't think you mentioned where you got it. Did you go to an autoparts store, or get it from Mazda/Ford?

I went to Mazda and they showed me a picture of something, but it didn't look right and it was 50 bucks!

G

·
I took mine out of the IM and took it to an independant auto parts store after having no luck at the chain stores (Napa, Shucks, A1), The guy had a book of about 500 of them, mostly for domestic applications. I ended up finding a honda one that had the same thread pitch. It was about an inch longer, so I have to be carefull when messing with the intake manifold.

He ordered it over night and I paid $18 (I think).

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Any idea on what exactly this thing does? I broke mine way back, so I just ran the lines together :shrug:

G

·
Well, it changes something in the vaccume while the engine is cold, To be honest I've never traced the lines or looked in the shop manual. Once the engine warms up a bit it opens and allows vaccum to go to somewhere.

It wouldn't be idle control, because thats electronically controlled via the TPS and CTS on the GT....

Not sure really.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Well the only thing I can find in the manual that might match what you guys are referring to what is called the "vacuum chamber." It is a canister underneath the center of the intake manifold. (Seen in this scan from the shop manual )

The vacuum chamber is a part of the EGR system. The manual says that it "Stores vacuum led to solenoid valve (EGR, vacuum side) under turbocharger boost condition".

...perhaps you were referring to something else. Might be an 88-89 thing.

G

·
I know what your reffering to Magik, but thats not what we are talking about.

Theres a thermo-valve that threads into the coolant passage in the intake manifold and opens vaccum at a certian temperature.

Could quite possibly be a 1st-Gen A thing.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I went to Advance Auto Parts and got one for 15 dollars!

First I went to Mazda and the guy tried to tell me it was the fitting on the valve cover that goes to the intake hose, and it was 48 dollars. I walked outta there and that's when I went to Advance.

They called it a ported vacuum switch, it has something to do with emissions, that's all I know.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
What the heck kind of people do they have working at your Mazda dealership? Every time I go to the parts counter at the Mazda dealer the guys always know what I'm talking about.

They have all of the parts on a CD-ROM program and will turn the monitor towards you or give you a printout and show you a diagram of the system you're interested in so you can just point to the parts you want. Sounds like a real dumbass behind that particular Mazda parts counter or you just didn't describe what you wanted well enough.

G

·
I don't have a mazda dealership in my area (Closest one is in Zookinators area :( ) but I have a ford dealership, and he won't show me the monitor, or a print out, and If I disagree with him, he tells me I don't know how to work on my car.

I don't go there anymore, I call the mazda dealership in bremerton instead.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They gave me the printout, but it wasn't the right part. Oh well, going to a parts store probably saved me a bunch.

Anyway, I put my car back together and it cranks but won't start.

I think it's dead, but the good news is that I'm getting a new car soon, I might get a Mazdaspeed Protege:D

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
magik8 said:
What the heck kind of people do they have working at your Mazda dealership? Every time I go to the parts counter at the Mazda dealer the guys always know what I'm talking about.

They have all of the parts on a CD-ROM program and will turn the monitor towards you or give you a printout and show you a diagram of the system you're interested in so you can just point to the parts you want. Sounds like a real dumbass behind that particular Mazda parts counter or you just didn't describe what you wanted well enough.
Me too. I was at my local Mazda dealership today for an oil pump o-ring and the guy was unsure what I meant. So he brought it up on the monitor and printed it out and gave me the print out and said "Ok, is what you want on there?" I said "Yep, right there," as I pointed to it. He looked it up and sure enough, that's my o-ring I need. $5 a piece sucks for a d*mn o-ring, but hey, I need it. Of course, all the guys at my local Mazda know me. All the dealers sit outside and stare at my car when I pull up. I'm just like @- hehe and walk straight to the parts dept. I love it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts