Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... Dealer did an inspection (Blah... lots of leaky seals) and one of the problems they found were cam plugs. Only having the car three weeks, I'm not sure where/what they are. Chilton and Haynes don't mention them anyplace that I can find. Google isn't much help locating replacement "cam plugs" for my car either.

So... Are these hard to do myself? Any special tricks/tools? Dealer wanted just over $100 to change them out. Considering that they want $900 for rear struts, this is probably a $5 job for me.

·
Registered
854 Posts
hmm
are they those big allen key screws that are in the head?

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Only things I can think of are the sealing caps which are just round metal caps that are found near the ends of the cams, on the outside of the engine...

luckily these only cost a few bucks each..

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only things I can think of are the sealing caps which are just round metal caps that are found near the ends of the cams, on the outside of the engine...

luckily these only cost a few bucks each..

John
Hello John - I am new to working on my 93 MX6LS, doing a timing belt, water pump etc. I see some weaping sign of oil leaking from two of the 4 cam plugs. How do I get these plugs out without pulling the heads off? How do I do this in the tight space esp. for the rear one? Cheap to buy a new plug but yikes I am scared of how to get old one out and drive new one in while engine is in car. Please advise!! Bruce in California 8o5 55o 2151

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Take off valve cover. Remove caps as necessary to remove plug. Install new plug, reinstall caps, torque appropriately.

Replace valve covers.

Once you have the intake manifold off, maybe a 30 minute job, total.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Take off valve cover. Remove caps as necessary to remove plug. Install new plug, reinstall caps, torque appropriately.

Replace valve covers.

Once you have the intake manifold off, maybe a 30 minute job, total.
The intake manifold removal will add another 45-60 minutes ahead of that.

IMO, if it's just weeping a bit, I'd leave it alone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The intake manifold removal will add another 45-60 minutes ahead of that.

IMO, if it's just weeping a bit, I'd leave it alone.
Yes, I realize this is a VERY old thread, but it felt pretty mandatory to reply to that statement. Considering that these cam plug holes, which are there from the machining process when boring the cam journals, are generally just above the timing belt covers on the passenger side, and pose a major risk to the timing belt itself, "just leaving it alone" because it is only weeping is a fundamentally bad idea that I've seen result in no less than twenty failed timing belts on various models using the Mazda 2.5l V6.

The parts to replace them are about ten bucks, plus a tube of ultra gray RTV. Takes less than three hours to remove, clean, apply new RTV and install these plugs. You don't even have to disassemble a whole lot to gain access to them. It's a bad idea to ignore them if they are leaking and will undoubtedly cost you a lot more in the long run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts