Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is being a pain in the a$$, car over heated warping the head and blowing the gasket. replaced head new gasket patch hole in radiator and replaced timing belt. started the car timing really bad ran for 15 min. got timing right ran for 15 sec, and heard a big klunk. cam seized and shredded the timing belt. my question is WHAT cause the cam the seize???????

G

·
You sure the cam seized and not the crank?

A non turbo head on a turbo motor fine.

If the cam did seize your probably didn't lubricate the cam "fluid bearings" before you put the caps on, Or could have got the middle one backwards so that the oil hole is on the wrong side.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is what it is doing, crank turns belt cam move stops then go again. also took belt off to see if crank moved and there was no problem. also if a piston seize, will crank still turn?

G

·
Theoritically, if the piston siezed you could snap a rod and then your crank would still turn "CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK", but you would probably have a big hole in your oil pan from the rod.

Sounds like you need to pull your valve cover, if your cam did seize you probably fractured it. I have one here I can ship you for $20 + shipping.

Hopefully it will not be as bad as I make it out to be.

Check the bearing cap alignments, make sure the oil holes are clear, and make sure you have oil up there (If your head is dry when you pull the valve cover off then I'd be surprised the cam actually lasted 30 minutes)

G

·
No, the engine is non-interference.

Worst case you'll need another head and cam (Could have done serious un-machinable damage to the cam "bearing area".)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the head and the cam are under warranty, just got done talking to the company they are sending me a new one. also how do u check the oil pressure.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
FlySwat said:
No, the engine is non-interference.
Are you certain? Cuz my brother's neighbour's second cousin's brother-in-law knows a guy who read somewhere that it's interference.

To quote Nancy Grace, "Why would he lie about something like that?"

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
If a head warps severe enough, it can cause the head itself to "bow", and result in a situation where the cam will no longer rotate as it should. Supposedly the turbo and non turbo heads are different, being that the turbo has sodium filled valves.
Was the replacement head you bought brand new?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Where did you order the head from?? I got my replacement engine from ATK then 20K miles/12 months later I had to get a new head from them cause their head gasket failed and warped my head. Those guys are a-holes and they are still trying to get out of paying for everything! Their 3 year unlimited mile warranty has turned out to be the biggest joke.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts