Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys this may be hard to believe, yet i think it may be possible. i was driving home from work on tuesday last week when a buddy of mine who has an ss pulled out behind me and pulled next to me. he dropped a gear or so and took off. i didnt try at first cuz i thought there was no way in hell. i let him pass me then i dropped into 2nd gear at about 35 mph. i flew past him around 75 mph and climbing, but when i first got next to him he had to of downshifted because the front end of his car picked up and his exhaust had a loud ass rumble. i just kept the pedal on the floor while still climbing in mph in 3rd. honest to god no lie i just kept creeping and slowly gained more and more room on him until i had to turn off and park in the garage. any imput on this kill is welcome, seeing that it is very hard to believe. if you were there with me you woulda been like, dude what the hell?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i once did the same thing w/ a Supra TT. We were going 30 and i dropped into second and took off past him b/c he accidently shifted to 4th instead of 2nd.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no way that a even a mildly modified mx6 can beat a camaro SS (taking out the driver factor). Either the guy was playing with you or he didn't know how to drive. The SS's are 13 sec cars off the showroom floor. Mx6's have to have alot of work to get them solidly in the 14's let alone 13's.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hey Remsmx6 - I believe you.

I've beaten a 350kw (460hp?) HSV, and a Ferrari 355 and others simply because the other guy doesn't know how to drive.

Seriously, most of us who spend our lives thinking about cars know how to move them, but there are a lot of people out there who have no idea.

Like I said to my Dad - "you drive it, and drive it hard because the MX6 loves it". He puts it into first takes off and changes at 3k rpm!!! I say leave it in gear longer Dad, so he changes up at 3.5!! No amount of pushing gets him over 4k.

Believe it or not there are a lot of people with performance cars who really have no idea.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Ricdanger,

I just got my dad to get near 5000rpms on my car, he liked it!

I was like "Come on dad, the power don't start until about 3250, and increases around 4000rpms, and stays there till about 5000rpms" (or that is what it feels like). I finally got him to understand, that this is what our motors were made to do.

·
Registered
379 Posts
ricdanger said:
Believe it or not there are a lot of people with performance cars who really have no idea.
I agree that some people with fast cars don't know how to drive (I was stuck behind a new Lexus GS400 V8 today... with a guy driving 10 mph/16 kph under the speed limit...), but with the Camaro, I'd doubt that would be the case. Camaros are fairly inexpensive machines, running about the same price range as the MX-5 Miata (unless it's a ragtop Camaro). With all the torque that guy had (LS-1 engines don't care what gear you put the tranny in :) ), he would have had to have missed a shift or some such, which would make the whoe kill invalid anyway. Camaros can pull and have pulled 0-100 kph times in the mid 5s.

·
Registered
183 Posts
exactly

camaro owners know what they have, and they use them. Yes i have met many 50-60 year old camaro owners and they still drive them as hard as a young kid like myself would. Camaro owners dont take any shite. There are occasions when a camaro doesnt even see the point in trying cause the car harassing him is a pathetic p.o.s. but other than that, the drivers arent going to let anything happen to the sweetest ride around.

·
Registered
734 Posts
In a way I disagree because the 6cyl Camaro and Firebird are pitiful... So not all Camaro's are good IMO

·
Registered
379 Posts
:rolleyes: We're not discussing which car is sweeter. We're discussing which car can accelerate faster.

·
Registered
446 Posts
When YZF-R1 said,

"...There are occasions when a camaro doesnt even see the point in trying cause the car harassing him is a pathetic p.o.s. but other than that, the drivers arent going to let anything happen to the sweetest ride around..."

we started talking about which car is sweeter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
BOWDWN2MX6 said:
Cameros are not "the sweetest ride around".
That's for sure...have you seen the inside of these cars, what is GM thinking. The outside and power is fine, but the interior is a piece of junk. The Echo has a nicer interior for quality. I mean you spend all that money for a powerful car and you get the same cheap plastic interior the Sunfire gets. I feel sorry for the Camero, Firebird and Corvette owners that are stuck stairing at a cheap interior in a sweet ride

·
Registered
183 Posts
alright, well the camaro is the sweetest ride around long as its an 8 pot. And thats my opinion, i dont give a rats ass what you guys like.

http://www.1le.net/~1le/camaro_frame.html

Here is a dyno for a Z28. The car has ehxhaust, and intake work. Nothing more. And it is still managing to throw down 316 ponies and 330 lb-ft. You will also notice how nice and flat the curve is. No GT 6 is going to match the performance of this.

Oh but wait were not talking about that car, were talking about the ss. Well it turns out that the ss is running the same exhaust from SLP, and the ram air would be about the equivilant of this guys intake setup.

The 6 might be lighter, but i dont care if the car weighs 5 lbs. A GT aint going to beat a sweet ride like this.

[Edited by YZF-R1 on 04-25-2001 at 12:50 PM]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can call it white trash all you want. But name one other car you can buy for low to mid $20,000's that can out-perform just about any exotic that cost 2 to 20 times as much. Then on top of it, it can be fixed by most mechanics and you can buy parts for it at your autoparts chain store. I like my MX6 as much as anyone on this board but give credit where credit is due.

·
Registered
446 Posts
20 times as much? You want me to name one car that costs up to $400,000.00 that will outperform the Camero SS? Gee, let me think... LOL

[Edited by BOWDWN2MX6 on 04-25-2001 at 06:45 PM]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. I meant the camaro Z28 can outperform cars that cost as much as 20 times the price of the camaro. Look at any of the Z28's performance numbers (0-60, 1/4 mile, handling, lateral acceleration, even mpg, etc...) and they are pretty comparable to some ferraris, porsches, nsx's, vipers, etc... From a performance to dollar value, it's very hard to beat a Z28 (or even it's sister car the firebird formula & T/A).

BTW, in your interpretation of my last post: How smart is it if you have to spend $400,000 to beat a $20,000 car? I said to name another car in the same price range as the Z28(not counting the firebird) that could perform as well against high dollar exotics. That's stock off the showroom floor car.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts