Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

can i do this???

555 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  magik8 
#1 ·
ok, i know nothing about car audio stuff, so bear with me....i'm in college and my roommate in my dorm room just brought these two huge speakers to our room that he had at home. they're probably each 3 1/2 feet tall. and omg are they loud. the bass on these things hits so hard. i was just wondering if there was some way i could put one of these speakers in my trunk and fold down the back seat. then just disconect the rear speakers in the car. is it possible to hook up this speaker to my cd player instead of the rear car speakers. i mean, if this was possible it would save me the money of buying a sub and everything cause there is a 15 in. sub in each of these speakers. so is it possible to do this????
thanks,
big dawg

#2 ·
i wouldnt suggest it cause u need an amp and u would need a new radio. but what sub is it and is it a 2om or a 4 ohm

#3 ·
i don't know if its 2ohm or 4 ohm, remember i know nothing about audio stuff. ok, well, maybe i could just get new rear speakers, since one of them is blown, and power those through an amp. possibley get front speakers too.

#4 ·
Well, it could be done, but I really don't think you would want to. First, you would almost definitely need a new amplifier for it (because your CD deck or radio just isn't going to put out enough power for a serious home speaker). And also, the damn thing would take up your whole trunk (not to mention your backseat would be unusable if you fold it down!) You also would lose both rear speakers, which would suck. I would suggest getting a real car subwoofer and box, then you would have room in your trunk, a backseat, stereo rear speakers, and it wouldn't look "ghetto-rigged" :)

If you're going to go the other route and just get new rear deck speakers, you don't necessarily need a new amp. They will sound better with an amp, but it isn't really required.... your CD deck or radio can probably adequately power them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.