Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got a small chip on my cf hood.
It's right on a corner.
It looks similar to a stone chip on a windshield.
It's maybe 1cm x 1cm.
I'm just afraid that it will spread and crack.
Is there any way to melt the resin, so it's not cracked, and wont spread?
I DON'T plan on painting it either.

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!
I want to get this fixed ASAP, before it spreads.

Thanks guys. :)
-Shawn.

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
No you cant melt the resin.

I dont work with CF but I would assume you would need to get some clear epoxy resin and fill it. Then wet sand and buff. Something along those lines ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think your only option is to have the crack filled and have it painted. If you just attempt to fill it and sand it without painting, it will look like shit. Good luck

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
3M rock chip guards are your friend. Especially on that not-so-easy-to touch up metallic paint. I'm surprised you havn't done that already. Probably cost you around $400 for your car.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I have a crack in my hood as well. I looked into fixing it but I would have had to remove the current resin, put new resin and clear coat on, then hopefully sand it god enough where its clear.

I just said fuck it and Im gonna paint it next time the car gets painted.

·
Registered
139 Posts
fixing a cf hood

As long as it is just in the top coat make sure you use epoxy, not polyester. f you sand too much, you can "feather" the top layer of carbon. If you don't sand enough, the fracture will return in time. It is a really tricky thing to do yourself and have it not turn out like crap.

My top reccomendation would be to pay to get it re-clearcoated. Usually you can find someone to do it for about a hundred dollars.

DONT USE NAILPOLISH. A lot of people have tried to just put some clear nailpolish on a cracked carbon fiber hood and it will look decent for about a week before it starts to crack and look ten times worse than before.

Good luck man

1 - 6 of 6 Posts