Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...with stainless steel cookware? My parents saw the cookware that my roommate had and decided to get me a set of nice stainless steel cookware, not the non-stick stuff that I'm used to. Basically, I'm looking for any tips and tricks people have for cooking without non-stick coatings; I know I have to heat up fry pans before adding oil, but any other differences would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
2,866 Posts
If your frying or deep frying something, dont try to flip it quickly. let it sit and cook, and it will eventually float/separate from the bottom itself. Also, try butter or spam, they work better than oil (and are healthier). If your doing rice or anything of that nature, make sure you watch the temp. 1 minute that your looking at pron and next thing you know you got smoked rice.

M mom has had the same stainless steel cookware since she got married or so, about 25 years ago ('twas a wedding present from my pops IIRC). The shit got lifetime warranty, and asides from a lost lid or a broken handle, those things are as good as the day she got 'em.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
stating the obvious- but never throw them into the sink to wash until they've cooled a bit...

non stick is over rated.. i've never had a non stick pan i liked.. favorite frying pan is a heavy ass wrought iron one. for thinner gauge stainless, just use butter (i don't like spray - it gums up if you're cooking hot) and be patient.. don't turn up the flame unless you have to. a medium-low flame is good for just about anything in a stainless pan. If you're reducing a sauce, or etc.. then a higher flame will help.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
half century seasoned cast iron is the way to go

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
RE: CAN SOMEONE TEACH ME HOW TO COOK?

I normally use fire, preferably on high.

Edit - All my non-stick pans are not really non stick anymore because my sister uses metal spatulas on them and scrapes all the coating off. Im in the market for a new set of pots and pans right now actually.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
ouch dude.. that means you've ingested at least a few bits of teflon.

enjoy the cancer. (after smacking the shit out of your sister)

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
That is news to me steve. I guess I wont be eating off those pans anymore.

Bad news bears, I wish I could afford to pay for the whole house myself, or at least charge her a realistic rent price. (450 a mo for 3 BR and 1BR upstairs) I pay the remainder of the mortgage ~1400, and got 1 BR, and 1BR downstairs.

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
you got that all wrong you need two room upstairs and she gets one downstairs or the coat closet.

That is news to me steve. I guess I wont be eating off those pans anymore.

Bad news bears, I wish I could afford to pay for the whole house myself, or at least charge her a realistic rent price. (450 a mo for 3 BR and 1BR upstairs) I pay the remainder of the mortgage ~1400, and got 1 BR, and 1BR downstairs.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Eh, the basement is more open for my pool table and entertainment center. Id prefer if she found a legitement roommate to move in that can actually pay rent instead of all these fucking freeloaders.

I did eat the freeloaders garlic stuffed olives however. Those things are fucking amazing.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
why is he still there??

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^ because Nate needs to man-up and kick him the fuck out, for good.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I told my sister whats up, I thought it really got the point across but obviously not. Hes leaving again tommorow, they just came down for new years to go snowboard so he is staying 1 more night then hes gone. His sentencing is sometime next week so he should be gone for good hopefully for good.

I think the only reason my sister hangs out with him is because they snowboard 24/7 and she has school off for break. Once she goes back to school and he goes to jail I think things will straighten out again.

Doubt anyone would want to stay here anyways, my furnace 24V power supply just went out and the house hasnt had heat for a few days besides my gas fireplace which is nestled close to my computer setup. Basically every room in the house is 60 degrees except where I sit at in the living room :lol:

Edit - Also she has like 20 more days to decide if she is going to afghanistan or not. She wants to go, I am pushing her to go, but my parents are trying to get her to stay. If thats the case she will be paying rent for at least a year and not be here. Its some deal with the Nat Guard where I have to fill out a formal rent form and then they pay for her rent shile shes in Afghan. That will be a nice period of time and by the time she gets back I should have my debts and the MS6 paid off so I could kick her out at that time.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
lol.

stealth, listen to yourself.

you're wishing your sis to afghanistan, so the gov can pay her rent, and you can kick her out when she gets back...

stop being so passive about it! lol. now you're hoping for government assisted passivity!

dude, come to NY for a visit. I'll coordinate it with a bunch of nearby sixers and whatever floridians want to come up here... and we'll have you so drunk for so long, getting into nyc bar brawls so often, that you'll forget all about this non confrontational funk you're in.

·
Banned
2,866 Posts
lol.

dude, come to NY for a visit. I'll coordinate it with a bunch of nearby sixers and whatever floridians want to come up here... and we'll have you so drunk for so long, getting into nyc bar brawls so often, that you'll forget all about this non confrontational funk you're in.
where do I sign for this?

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
lol.

stealth, listen to yourself.

you're wishing your sis to afghanistan, so the gov can pay her rent, and you can kick her out when she gets back...

stop being so passive about it! lol. now you're hoping for government assisted passivity!

I think it will be better for her anyways. Basically what it comes down to is

1) Go now, then get 4 years off when she gets back to finish shcool and get a job.

2) Finish school first, go later and then try to get a job when she gets back after being out of school for how many years?

I just think it would be better to go now so that she doesnt have the huge period between finishing school and getting a job. Employers will think she has forgot everything from college.

Plus the other incentive for her is that there is more money involved in option 1, and she is a broke college kid right now so it looks good on paper to her.

Plus, shes a truck driver that delivers supplies. Its not like shes gonna be on the front lines.

I cannot deny the fact that I enjoyed the 7 months she was in basic training whilst paying rent :) So much freedom. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts