Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the scenario:

My 87 corolla exhaust is broken. It goes straight back then has a "L" shaped pipe where it goes to the back right and the muffler. It currently has no "L" pipe so the exhaust is coming straight out under my back seats and right onto the fuel tank.

I know exhaust from a car can heat up muffler pipes alot, thus you have heat shields. But my question is will the hot exhaust coming out directly under my car onto the fuel tank potentially make it explode?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I can't tell you for sure, but why risk it?

You might be able to buy a cheap downturn at an autoparts store to at least divert the hot exhaust away from the tank.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
doubt it.

really need some kind of vapour exposed to flame to ignite petrol. So heating it would take A LOT of heat... I be more worried about other parts of the car if the exhaust produces that much heat.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sincity, i have the "L" pipe which was there, but i have no way to connect it back to where it broke off

This car is completely worthless thus i don't wanna spend 50$ to get its welded back on.

Im gonna insure my 97 mx6 in a few weeks, this is just my DD to get me 100 km a day (to university). See pretty much i don't wanna spend a dime on this.

arrrh, maybe i'll just insure my mx6 tommorow ... just sucks :p

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
It will be fine. You would need alot more heat then any exhaust could create. Maybe a turbo leaning against a fuel tank could do it.

Disclaimer: You die, im just a faceless voice on the internet :).

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
It's something I'd fix.

Cars don't usually explode, the gas burns but it rarely explodes. The few fuel tank explosions are caused by a pressure build up before ignition. Now, depending on the proximity of your exhaust to the fuel tank, you may have the heat necessary for the pressure build up, but you won't have the ignition source to set it off without some sort of accident.

So go ahead and do something to either replace the damaged elbow, or at least direct it towards the ground in order to get it away from the fuel tank, or any other part of the body.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Aside from the fuel tank, I'd be worried about carbon monoxide fumes getting into the car without the exhaust routed properly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would not worry about the tank exploding, rather your concern should be for the integrity of the tank itself... I had a similar issue with my 96 MX6, and to make a long story short, as I was driving one day, I noticed that I smelled gasoline... Furthermore when I would stop, I could see a long wet mark on the road behind me... Well my Mazda's tank was a plastic material which had melted directly behind the place where my exhaust had ended... So I had to replace the tank which was no fun chore, but at least it did not blow up, nor would I expect it to...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the help guys

ive since taken that car off the road and driving my mazda now... oh how i missed it :D You cant even tell its on its so quiet

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
In welding gas tanks, that has (fairly often) been the cause of explosions and deaths, as they need to be steamed out first before any welding is to take place. I dont believe your exhaust piping would still be SO hot by the time it nears the gas tank that it would cause an explosion, leave alone with all that gas slushing around to cool the "heated" portion of the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts