Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G’day MX6 fans
I’ve got an Australian second gen V6
I’m not sure how it is in the rest of the world, but my Aust. 6,{along with all the other ozzys} came with a factory cd, dolby tape-deck and 4 speakers {6 if you count the tweeters on the dash} . I’m Very happy with this set up, but I have added/modified it a little bit.
I’ve put a couple of caps in series with my factory mains {to reduce the bass} and changed the tweeters on the dash, and added two in the back. The biggest addition/improvement is the 2 12inch subbies in a ported enclosure in the boot {what can I say ‘BASS…I love it’}. The subs are 4 olms {profile} connected in parallel to a 200w rms stable at 2 olms, amp.{sony}
‘That’s all very well and good’ I hear you say!
But now for the questions …. Does any one know the wattage of the factory amp and speakers?
My factory set is having a hard time, at higher volumes, keeping up with the bass and tweet. I was hoping you could recommend some speakers that will go in the factory mounts, and perhaps be able to run of the factory amp, and still be able to keep up. Failing that, do you know if the factory deck has a pre out..?

Any input/advice would be appreciated......Thanks very mutch.
PK:cool:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Paul - The factory head unit is not so good.....you would be lucky if it produced 8w RMS. It definetly does not have any pre-outs (I have my factory radio in a box in my garage).

Speakers ? Not a lot you can do about them (the rear that is) , there are not a lot of 5 x 7 / 6 x 8 speakers in oz. I have a pair of Coustic 6 x 8s in the rear (the only 6 x 8s my dealer had in stock) driven from the head unit, and low passed with Pioneer's FIE. Personally, I wouldn't bother with expensive/powerful rear speakers, it'll just stuff up the sound stage (just my opinion).

In the front, you can fit a 16cm (6.5 inch) component speaker, if you spend a bit of time making an MDF baffle (well worth the effort). When I get my new speakers in a few weeks, we will try and mount them in a custom made kick panel, or else mounted in the door with the tweeter mounted near the driver.

Speaker choice ? Entirely up to you.....buy whatever your ears like.

BTW, clean the soot from your tailpipe PK ! :D

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi losihi
Yea I figured the factory amp wasn't much cop. Maybe I’ll use a voltage reducer and wack in another amp{I don't really wont to change the head unit }I've got a few lying around. What do you reckon 150RMS, 300 or 500?
Do you know if the front and back speakers are the same, they look the same but sound quite different?
The fronts sound better, maybe I’ll move them to the back and get some splits in the front..
Anyhow thanks for the feed back.
BTW the council are digging up my street, so I haven’t bothered washing my baby for about 2weaks....Every time I pull out my drive I get sh!t all over her ..
But thanks for noticing @-
Stay cool

PK

·
Registered
886 Posts
PK - The front and rear speakers are exactly the same size (5 x 7/ 6 x 8). They are not too bad for factory speakers (I've seen & heard a lot worse).

Are you planing on amping both front & rear speakers, or only the front ?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill probably put both on an amp..
2 of the amps I have are 4 channel..
I guess Ill have to talk to the guys at my stereo store.
I hate doing this because apparently 'I only need what they wont to sell me' I.E. what they get the biggest mark-up from...Don’t you hate the way the spiel changes from shop to shop!
PK

·
Registered
672 Posts
PK you can get a converter which will convert your Speaker outputs to RCA preamp outputs....does the job for those people who want RCA connections fromt he deck to the amps

Places like JB HI FI and Strathfield in Victoria have these....dont know if you got any of these stores in Perth....

I may be able to get one sent out to you if your interested.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Na Don’t sweat it, it's cool
A couple of the amps I’ve got have low and high level inputs ...I just would have preferred pre outs, I reckon it sounds cleaner...
Ps: you can get voltage reducers in WA. But thanks for the offer..
I see your name changed ...cool
PK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts