Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any agreement here as to what is best size wheel?

At the moment I'm thinking 17", but only if I get the car lowered aswell. Thin tyres on big rims un-lowered is not a good look.

In the Cleanest and best looking 6's post, there are some good looking 16" cars.

I guess there is also the ride harshness trade-off. Is there noticeable differance between 16" and 17" with this?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I haven't tried 16" tires/rims, but going from the stock 15" to my new 17-inchers, I did notice a difference in ride quality. The 17's are slightly rougher, but I think they look great (check my post in the pic post section for pictures). 17's don't look bad on the turbo models as they have a lower ride height than the non-turbo ones. I do realize that australia didn't get many non-turbo 1st gens, so perhaps yours are all the "lower" ride height. The non-turbos do have a bit of the "4x4" rally height look with large diameter rims.

Perhaps you could ask a fellow aussie how the 17's look at stock ride height as it's probably not the same as our US-Spec cars. I would say if you want to keep a bit smoother ride, get the 16's. If looks are what you're going for and your ride height isn't "rally-height", go for the 17's.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, still not sure.

Magik8 you car looks pretty sweet. Very similar to mine-- more so If I end up getting 5 spoke 17"s

I'll ask the Aussie guys. I'm wondering just how much lower my car would be on Eibachs compared to my old stock springs. Eibach says lower by 1.3" Front, 1" Rear.

·
Registered
64 Posts
magik8 said:
I haven't tried 16" tires/rims, but going from the stock 15" to my new 17-inchers, I did notice a difference in ride quality. The 17's are slightly rougher, but I think they look great (check my post in the pic post section for pictures). 17's don't look bad on the turbo models as they have a lower ride height than the non-turbo ones. I do realize that australia didn't get many non-turbo 1st gens, so perhaps yours are all the "lower" ride height. The non-turbos do have a bit of the "4x4" rally height look with large diameter rims.

Perhaps you could ask a fellow aussie how the 17's look at stock ride height as it's probably not the same as our US-Spec cars. I would say if you want to keep a bit smoother ride, get the 16's. If looks are what you're going for and your ride height isn't "rally-height", go for the 17's.
mines a non turbo and i recon the ride height is just right for street use. its lower than usual but just high enough to clear most stuff. except the drive way into our local bottle shop ive bashed my lower contol arms on that a few times.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Beno said:
except the drive way into our local bottle shop ive bashed my lower contol arms on that a few times.

Either avoid the "bottle shop" or don't be in such a rush for bashing your car or your self.........Hah, ha ! yumm....yum !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts