Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so the MS is running great, but stuff just starts feeling slow too quick. - need more power! :D

But for some reason I can't hold anything over 15psi. If i crank up the mbc (granger style, now with a stretched spring) the boost wil spike up (i even had it spike to like 22) but then just as fast as it spools it settles back down to 15-16 :mad: Not sure if this will help, but i'm also seeing constant "hills" in my MAP log in MS. It rises and falls between 14-16psi. I'll try to get a screen shot up soon...

I've got a few possibilities rolling around in my head, but i'm not really sure how to test for them...

1. leaky bpv. I don't really know how to test for it except to swap it for a forge or something similar, but i have no money to spend on something that might be a problem..

2. waste gate getting forced open?? It is only a 10psi waste gate, so IDK how much those things can hold. Maybe add a spring or something? I think it has an adjustable rod, will that change its holding capacity?

any other ideas? I'm shooting for 20psi, maybe 24 :E

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
is it the stock BPV? more than likely it's that or you have a weak wastegate. I would tension it tighter by a few turns :) Also, PM

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, stock bpv. I'm gonna try to tighten the waste gate a bit and see what happens...

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
kinda risky if you dont pay attn, but in the past i have disconnected the wastegate line to see what if i could hit more boost with the wastegate fully shut. if it hits higher, its probably your wastegate, if not, the problem is probably elsewhere :tup:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm, ehh - $55 engine - i'll give it a try...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks every one - got a DSM bpv that is vented for now - I can't find a hose big enough to go over the outlet (1-1/8 ish). Now i can hold like 18 haha. I'm thinking its the WG getting blown open now. It goes up to 20 then falls to 18 as the rpms get above 4500.

Its hard to tell b/c the clutch slips BAD if I try and boost 17+ in 3rd or higher. I can't really hear what the WG is doing...

First things first: I need a clutch.

BTW - this dsm bpv sounds weird vented. I expected it to sound like the stocker - just a rush of air. Instead it has a distinct, high-pitched pptissss sound. Also, it sounds the pretty much the same at any boost - i can blow off in vac?! How is that even possible?

I need to get a hose quick, i'm starting to like the sound, before long i'll be blowin off at everything haha <-- ricer

Reactions: Zach

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I already blow my SSQV off everytime I get...I love the sound :D

What's also nice, I don't have to worry about the afterfire ;)

Btw...your fix was in the second post...where's my green bish :p

;)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
"must spread..."

yeah, one other thing of concern is the fact that at idle its sucking in air - it doesn't mater that its "un-metered", but it IS un-filtered.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
well that's no good!!!

is it crushed or stock? don't know if that makes any difference :shrug:

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
i wouldnt worry about it..... my dsm is the same way. if it scares you that much put a screen over it lol

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
naw, its not crushed. Any idea what psi these can hold till they need to be crushed?

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Backfire :confused:

lawl :jump:

Ill agree with you Zach, in my case I was using the Turboxs bov and it backfired almost every other shift, but now with the HKS SSQV, I rarely afterfire.
backfire is in the intake, no good..afterfire is what you hear coming out of your exhaust ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
backfire is in the intake, no good..afterfire is what you hear coming out of your exhaust ;)
NO U!

I got smart and Google'd and teh lulz told meh you were right for the ngyuen!!! :(

Did you learn that rebuilding turbo'z? :p

Weird though because in the dictionary definition it showed a picture of flames coming out of an exhaust and it said backfire, yet the definition stated afterfire is the explosion in your exhaust. :confused:

Anyway back on topic, lol.

n20 I believe its 18, its what a dsm buddy told me not sure if its correct.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts