Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright i posted this in anthor thread but it is gone now. I recently replaced my water pump and i didnt remove the time belt and after getting eveything back together and filling it with coolant i backed it out of my garage and got it on the road ready to take off. I put it in drive (my tranny is going out but i dont think it would have anything to with it) and when i tried to accelerate it reached about 1500 rpm then dropped down to about 250 rpm and would occasionally jump from 250 rpm - 2000 rpm when holding the pedal about half way to all the way to the floor. I asked a friend he said it may be my throttle body sensor but im just not sure and my ohmmeter is broke right now so i cant test it that way. It only does it after the car has been started for about 5 seconds otherwise it starts and revs fine but it has been idling rough lately when i start it. I live in Iowa and right now it is on average about 25 - 35 degrees if that helps at all. Could my timing been thrown off somehow even though I never took off the timing belt? Any help on this would be appreciated. sorry for how long this is.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You may have slipped a tooth on the belt when changing the water pump.

That would be the first place I would check. Rule that out before doing anything else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may have slipped a tooth on the belt when changing the water pump.

That would be the first place I would check. Rule that out before doing anything else.
so even though i didnt remove the timing belt i may have thrown off the timing a bit?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts