Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Mazda 626, 4cyl, 2.0L. About 2 months ago I replaced my engine. The car seemed to have it's power back and everything. It ran great for about these 2 months. One day I was making a turn onto a road and my car just died without any clue. I didnt even realize it until my car started slowing because I couldnt accelerate. Anyways I havnt been able to get started since it died. It turns over but will not start and yes there is gas in the tank. 3/4 a tank to be exact, and I am pretty sure my engine is getting fuel. So far I have replaced minor things that needed to be replaced anyways (Battery, Sparkplug wires, Distributor cap, rotor.) I just don't know whats going on. Some people are saying it's a spark problem, but im not sure. If anyone can help me out that would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
99% sure your fuel pump crapped out..

specially if you were making a turn....if it was a left turn i am 100 % sure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a right turn. I can hear the Fuel pump kick on when I turn my key on. There is fuel reaching all the way to the fuel filter & beyond, I diconnected hoses into my engine, had somebody turn the key & fuel came pumping out. However I guess I can still have it tested. You would think they would make fuel pumps a little more accessible. If anybody else has any ideas or tips, I would appreciate the help. Thanks for the help Toxic. Nice car by the way.

·
Registered
527 Posts
you replaced the engine...if you got a used one.. did you change the time belt?

if not check the camshaft movement while you turn the ignition on.

if they dont move your time belt went...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
like toxic said, i would check the timing belt. if u have fuel and spark. next thing is the timing belt

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
You didn't say if you had a spark.. pull a lead off and stick an old plug in, and earth it to the engine.... turn it over and check for a good spark... my guess is you don't have one..

It is probably a bad ignitor module in the distributor...

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
i had the same experience yesterday morning. my 97' 626 died while driving downhill, it took me some time to notice. same diagnosis, fuel is reaching, timing belt in place... no spark!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright I made it back. The distributor is given spark, but what do you mean by good spark because it looked like it was lacking spark and then sometimes when the engine was turned over it didnt spark. Im starting to think it could be my fuel injection or even worse, the engine itself. Thanks for helping me out everybody. I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Should be a strong regular blue spark... anything else is a bad spark..

Could also be the coil.. (inside the distributor)

see if you can borrow another distributor, just to test it..

John

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Somebody needs to open a parts rental shop, strictly for testing parts on your car to see if they need replacement.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Now that would be a good idea...

John

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ran some tests on my coil. My coils secondary resistance is supposed to read between 8.7 to 11.5 K-ohms. The reading for my coils secondary resistance came back 8.1 K-ohms. Now is that .6 difference a big enough difference to consider that my coil is bad enough to need replacement. If anybody knows, don't hesitate to let me know.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
i'll check the 2.0 model later... but the 2.5V6 is 11.5-18.5 Kohms and 0.58 - 0.86 ohms for the primary coil.. almost a short..

John

2.0 is 9.6 - 14.4 Kohms secondary, 0.68 - 0.83 Ohms Primary
so either way you look at it. yours is out of specification, and should be replaced.. however.. a second opinion with another multimeter would be the first thing to do.

John

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK! Here is some updated info for everyone. I have replaced the Coil, Spark plugs, Distributor bug, Distributor Cap, Spark plug wires & the battery. After all this failed to start my car, I said screw it and had it towed to the shop. Called them up a day later to find out the situation and The guy said he was getting ready to call me to let me know what was going on. Here it is, He said that he took out the Plugs and saw that they were wet with gasoline, so with a flash light he looked down inside the Cylinders and saw about 1 inch deep of gasonline inside the cylinders, he said that was really wierd and that the guy who does further diagnostic on the engine is Hunting and he wont be back until Tuesday. I don't have until Tuesday, thats when my engines warranty is out, so if anyone knows why my engine is doing this crap please let me know. Is there any hope for my engine or is it all over. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
It's pretty obvious the engine is flooded... possibly due to trying to start it over the past few days...

Remove the plugs, put the leads well out of the way, and turn the engine over a good few seconds to clear the fuel..

Dry the plugs off, and check for a good spark. if you have a good spark, fit the plugs and leads.. floor the gas pedal, and attempt to start the engine.. keep the pedal floored until it starts..

John

1 - 20 of 34 Posts