Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was racing a stang and had him by 4 lengths. I was doing about 135 and I decided to slow down. I let the car drop down to about 60 and went i went to step on the gas it made a funny hesitation sound and didnt go anywhere tried the gas again and same thing so I puleed over and by the time I hit the grass the car had shut off on its own even though it was in neutral. I went to crank the car about a half an hour later and it just cranked a few times and stopped. Same thing when I cranked it again. I tried to crank it one more time and then I heard sort of a clunk in the engine bay and now it won't crank at all anymore. I know the timing belt is still good cause I checked it. I guess the next step is to start pulling th eengine apart. I am figuring I blew a piston or something. All fluids were good and temp was fine at the time of breakdown. Does anyone know where I can great directions on a rebuild? What should I be looking for to diagnose the problem. Help me someone.
89 probe gt 5speed chipped intake and boost around 14 psi

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just noticed this. I took off the valve cover and tried pushing down on each of the lobes(whatever you want to call it. The thing that pushes the valves down) and one of them pushes down with very little resistance while the rest are all relatively stiff. Any ideas.

·
Registered
449 Posts
broken spring?

BTW you are talking about the rocker arm.

Is the battery dead? Also when you were cranking (30mins later timeframe) did it ever start up and then die?

Take out the sprak plugs describe what the electrode and insulation around the eletrode look like.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesnt look broken but will take a closer look. The car never started although at that time it did make somewhat of an attempt. Funny thing is now the car just starts clicking when i put the key in the on position not even start the battery maybe dying now not quite sure. The car is acting like I am turning the key in the on position and off again like it keep s cycling.

·
Registered
449 Posts
sounds like the battery is dead, from the cranking. Try getting a new battery or another one if you have one and see if it'll crank& start. The clicking when you start is the starter solenoid trying to engage. The solenoid is electromagnetic and when the starter motor (uses a lot of AMPs) starts to turn and then the solenoid loses its magnetism because of not enough power and doesn't engage.

Although i still think something else is wrong...try that out. Your alternator may be gone and not allowing the injectors to inject. But the clunk sound must mean something more severe. If the with the new battery and it doesn't start...you probably overheated and the engine seized.

try one last thing before getting a battery. First remove the spark plugs. Then remove the passenger-side tire and lower wheel well skirt. It should reveal the crank pulley. Using a rachet and proper socket, try turning over the engine by hand. If you can the engine should be ok, in terms of being seized. It is very important that the plugs are removed!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts