Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the weight reduction regime on my MX-6 this afternoon. I'm weighing everything I remove off the car to get an idea how much I am gaining. Thought I'd post it for reference:- 90 Kgs removed today..

Description Weight (Kg)
Scissors Jack & associated tools 3.3
Space Saver wheel 11.4
Boot trim 1.8
Passenger seat 19.0
Rear seat back 7.0
Rear seat base 4.8
Rear 3/4 trims 3.6
SS sill trims 1.8
Rear speakers 2.2
Rear Parcel shelf 3.2
Rear parcel shelf brackets 0.5
Electric Aerial 1.5
Drivers seat 24.1
Rear seatbelts 3.5
Front Armrest & gearshift surround 2.8
90.5 KGS

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
That's quite a hefty amount of stuff to remove. Just one question... where are you going to sit? :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two 6Kg carbonfibre bucket seats... I haven't really got stuck in to the weight reduction program yet. Can't wait to get going tomorrow... May not go as mad as first thought (cutting inside of doors etc) as things ar going well so far...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well given that a passenger weight approx 70Kgs and it costs at least 4 seconds a lap...

You wouldn't believe how much sprightlier the car feels without the passenger! Can't wait to try it out...

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
carpet, plastic trims, AC, roof liner, foglights, door panels, speakers, stereo, Cruise control.

can't think of anything else at the mo... but I'll take the aerial as my prize })

John

·
Registered
64 Posts
car diet

carbon fibre bonnet £500 saw it in banzai jap car magazine, magnesium wheels. You could cut out the steel bay section where the spare wheel was located and fit a flat sheet of aluminium in its place. Maybe relocate the battery to the middle of the boot for weight distribution. Smaller fuel tank, don't think you need a 60 litre tank for a track day car. Depends how much you wanna spend i suppose

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
radoxman said:
carbon fibre bonnet £500 saw it in banzai jap car magazine, magnesium wheels. You could cut out the steel bay section where the spare wheel was located and fit a flat sheet of aluminium in its place. Maybe relocate the battery to the middle of the boot for weight distribution. Smaller fuel tank, don't think you need a 60 litre tank for a track day car. Depends how much you wanna spend i suppose
Cheers for the suggestions.. I like the idea re wheel well. I have the battery on the left side as the RHS of the car is heavier.

The carbonfibre bonnets are very expensive for the weight gained. I plan to put on lightweight Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 Black wheels.
As for the fuel tank, I think I need a bigger fuel tank not a smaller one... I start the trackdays with a full tank of fuel and have to nip out to a garage at lunchtime for a refill!

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
If you have a sunroof, you could shed a few kilos there, and weld a sheet of steel in it's place..

John

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Einstein said:
If you have a sunroof, you could shed a few kilos there, and weld a sheet of steel in it's place..

John
Luckily I don't ... Is there much metal behind the front bumper that I could remove? Don't need much of a bumper support and I want to remove as much weight from the front as possible. I may set the seats further back and extend the steering column..

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Change the mirrors for lighter ones.. the washer bottle holds a LOT of water... fit a small one. or empty it..

every little helps :)

John

p.s. Russ will have the mirrors })

·
Registered
601 Posts
How about all the a/c rubbish under the dash(blowers ect..)

And all the sound deadening gunk under the carpets.Get a chisel and scrap it all off. Roof liner.

Don't forget the exlax the day before.:muhaha: .lol

Roy

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sand the body back to bare metal and only give it one coat of paint:D ... Can save around 8 kilos doing this! (All the WRC cars only have 1 coat of paint!)

Will

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hey take out all that filler thats been used over the years, get rid of the windows, who needs them fit a perspex front screen rather than glass.
Ditch the cat thats gotta be a few killos, do you really need head lights are you planning to drive at night ? On that note do you need windscreen wipers if not get rid of the motor.

You keeping a stereo? few more kilo's in there too !

Can you send me a list of what bits you have might get something off you.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Diet has been postponed for a little while. Need to fit an upgraded turbo, front intercooler and new exhaust to my 200SX and new suspension in my 180SX. I'll update as soon as I get back to it..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts