Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am almost ready to get my new eibach springs and HP tokico struts. I've been hesitant since I bought my tires cause all of a suden I have handling problems. First of all I had both sides tie rods done, control arm done on drivers side (Sears fronted the bill since you have to replace the whole control arm to fix a problem with the ball joint), both sides for front sway bar link bushings. All this in order and still my car handles very strange. Plus I can't get rid of this damn CLUNK sound i hear when turning (especially in parking lots). Some say springs, some say struts, others say CV joint (and not the click.click.click noise either). I just want to make sure I have this damn suspension in perfect condition before I install all this new sh!t. Maybe the new sh!t will fix the problem. Any help will be extremely greatful and thanx in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Well I say go ahead and put on your springs/struts anyway. When you do. Make sure you install new strut mounts, spring seats, and strut bearings. That way you're sure you've replaced EVERYTHING. Most likely, it'll go away. A clunk while steering, and constant changes in alignment are very commonly caused by a fubared strut mount/bearing.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'm looking into getting the same setup for my 6. Let us know how it goes for you. I agree with anarchyx... give it a shot but be sure everything is solid. Just curious, what tires and profile size did you go with?

G

·
i say put them on anyway also. i have the same springs and strut set up. i put them on when i had a really bad cv joint( i mean bad car drove like crap and made the worst sound when turning i've ever heard) and after that the car drove fine and it didn't make nearlly as much noise when turning. good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jack the vehicle up under the control arms (one side at a time is faster), bring it about an inch off the ground put a pry-bar under the wheel, with the other hand on top of the wheel, if you feel a "pop" you either have a bad ball joint and/or a bad wheel bearing. it should be nice and snug. next grab the tire at 3 o'clock, and 9 o'clock. shake the tire back and forth, again it should be snug, if you feel any sort of play, you either have a bad tie-rod(possibly installed wrong) and or a bad steering rack. take a look at your sway-bar end links, see if the rubber ends are cracked, if so, replace them. hoped this helped... later

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Is the clunk only made when you turn hard. If so maybe your stock springs and struts are so dead that its hitting the bump stops??

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
As anarchy said, definitely replace the strut mounts, spring seats, front strut bearings, bump stops, and strut boots when replacing the struts. All of this stuff is probably worn out and is most likely the source of your popping noise.

EDIT: I just noticed that the original post is from 2.5 years ago.

·
Registered
948 Posts
lol well for anybody else. That "clunk" noise when turning is a strut plate. Mine was so badly cracked, it was quite close to falling out, after i fixed it, no more problems.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
still no luck in my case - springs, struts, strut mounts, sway bar bushes, control arm bushes etc...

has mazda screwed, as with the local suspension joints, and now even two mechanics

what great fun....

·
Registered
248 Posts
check your in side tierod they will clunk only when turning hard at frist the move and clunk over bumps all the time. i found the best wat to check them is just grab the tie rod on the car and if you can turn the hole arm even just a litle then it is bad and get a new one.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Dylan James said:
check your in side tierod they will clunk only when turning hard at frist the move and clunk over bumps all the time. i found the best wat to check them is just grab the tie rod on the car and if you can turn the hole arm even just a litle then it is bad and get a new one.
The rack has been reco'd - new control box, new inners and new outers aswell as new bushes

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yo, for the parking lot noise, is it once you backed up it does klunk. if yes: thats your link kit( stabilizer link bushing), if your do a turn and hit hole or dent it knock: its the strut bearings(plates). Do a u-turn, if it knock cv joint. For tie rods: jack car wiggle tire side to side. Your coils and shocks shouldn't make knock noise except coil can squeal and shocks will bounce for ever.

Good luck:flamer:

·
Registered
371 Posts
yeah that clunck clunk sound is from your bearings just replace 'em

1 - 18 of 18 Posts