Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i got a 94 mx6 ls that i just picked up. It was running nicely but after doing some work i cant get it to idle properly now. Im guessing a vacuum leak somewhere but i want a 2nd opinion.

When i start the car up it sometimes just starts and then slowly dies unless i feather the gas. After taking it apart and putting it back together i have eliminated that problem but it runs rough and the idle hunts. The car drives fine and all but when im sitting at lights it will jump from 1000-1500rpm and if i let the car sit for awhile it drops to about 700rpm but sounds like its going to die and then will jump back up to 1000rpm and sit there for awhile.

Im guessing a vaccum leak somewhere but im not sure, i had the front valve cover off to replace the gasket, cleaned the TB, new plugs and stuff like that. I think i have all the lines going to the right place.

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
316 Posts
check to see if your coolant lines going to the throttle body are in place, if not this will cause a bad idle, also check if your IAC valve (attached to throttle body) is plugged in. and make sure there are no air bubbles in you coolant system, this may also cause idle issues. good luck

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I hate it when people disable PM's on here !! ;)

When i start the car up it sometimes just starts and then slowly dies unless i feather the gas. After taking it apart and putting it back together i have eliminated that problem ...
I was curious what you did to solve the "dying" issue you had when you took it apart ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I basically took it all back apart and put it back together, Ran additive through my gas tank and ran an oil additive. Took the car for a long drive, put new gas in and filled up the coolant. Seems to be running better now. Its slowly getting there, what can you expect from a $500 car :p

One of the coolant lines popped off when i first started the car (for some strange reason) so i lost alot of coolant so i think that was my biggest problem. I still dont have the car running perfect again, not sure whats wrong. Trial and error.

·
Registered
12 Posts
idlen hunting

I do have the same problem on my 95 mx6, 4IL. Mine does not stall but drops to about 500 and up to 750 or 800. When ever the AC kicks in it drops and shudders and comes back up. Even when the blinkers are on, it hunts in response to them coming on and off. I have changed the tps, spark plugs, wires, adjusted IAC, no difference. I may have to take out the throttle and air meter circuits to check. I failed emissions on HC. Every 3 secs, the idle drops, engine shudders and goes back up to normal. Any advice will help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
diagnose it and check for codes and go on from there
it might be your o2 sensors
had a similar problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Miss firing and rough idle

Having had this problem with several mx6 1993/4 years. Every time it has been the HT leads .{spark plug leads). You can test the leads with an ohm meter and they come up as being good. The problem with the cars that i have done is that there is micro cracking in the plastic heat shield of the leads at the spark plug end. Very hard to see.You will need a magnify glass. In extreme cases there is even a small hole that high voltage has somehow carved through this insulator. Tell tale signs is grey tracks or spots. The high voltage goes through the insulator to the engine/head metel casting causing chronic miss firing/ rough running /idling. As the spark plug is deep down in the head you will not visably see this arcing night or day. Change lead for the best quality. While your at it change the cap and rotor before you start messing with any other component.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Good job on bringing back a topic that was last responded to about 5 years ago. At least you're trying to be helpful so kudos for that. There are about 20-30 different things that can cause idle issues. It can be ignition, fuel, and/or air related.

Just because you have a track record of fixing idle issues with a new plugs, wires, cap, and/or rotor does not mean it will fix someone else's issue with the same symptoms. Replacing parts without doing diagnostics can cost you money without fixing the issue. You have to gather evidence, find the culprit, and fix the culprit otherwise you'll just waste money throwing parts at the problem.

All idle issues should be dealt with on a case by case basis because there are literally 20-30 things that can cause it. Want to buy 20-30 new parts just to fix 1 thing? Of course not that's what diagnostics, troubleshooting, and the process of elimination is for. You wouldn't replace every part on your computer if your mouse didn't work so why do that for your car? Identify the culprit then fix it. Guessing wastes time, money, and effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts