Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I don't post here that often, I pretty much just lurk the threads but I need some help on this one.

I'm riding in a 1989 Mazda MX-6 DX with a 1990 MX-6 GT Engine(turbo). The car has been completley taken apart by my personal mechanic and the engine bay looks nothing like it should(besides the actual engine).

Getting that out of the way, here is the problem I'm having:

I only have this problem when its cold out and my car is still warming up.

As I hit higher speeds(35-45 km/hr) I can hear a small clicking which if I hit a higher speed(~60 km/hr) the sound turns into something like a chihauha on cocaine shrieking its lungs off. The more speed I have, the louder the noise.

If I put it in neutral and rev I get no noise.

If I get up to the speed where it starts to shriek like a chihauha then put it in neutral I still get the shrieking.

It almost sounds like a belt squeel or a bearing or something but I just cant be sure. I can't look at it either because I can't get it to go off unless I'm driving it.

I'm thinking I'll have to take it in but I can't talk to my mechanic at the moment and I wanted to hear if this was a known problem or not...I'm not so much of a mechanic.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
If the noise is still there when you "put it into neutral", and you are moving...it has to be a problem with one of the wheels. I've had that happen randomly before and it was just the shield scraping against the rotor. I would rule that out before replacing a wheel bearing. Could just be a matter of pulling the shield away from the rotor.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
i second, third that it might be the bearing, i heard a shuffling sound when driving and it's because of that. so jack the car up and look for up and down play and if there is, then it's ur bearing, u can also turn ur steering wheel all the way to the right and then all the way to the left and check to see if the wheel tilts, then it's ur bearing. good luck with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts