Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Car jerks when turning right at higher speeds

10K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Chefsp0t 
#1 ·
my 96 pgt gets driven 55-60 around some sweeping corners by my house. The car can easily handle them, it always used to.

I had the drivers side front spring break not too long ago. I replaced it with no problems. Everything is back in and tightened up, checked it a couple of times.

What is happening, and only when turning right, around these sweeping corners is the car all of sudden acts like it gets some super traction and then darts to the right. When I tested it to try to figure out what was going on I could feel the car roll a lot. It almost felt like the tire was tilting into the corner more as I rounded the corners.

There is no excess tire wear on the left front. I am thinking this may be an issue with the steering rack. Anyone have this happen before or any ideas on things to test.

TIA
Mike

#3 ·
how is your alignment?
when you get front springs/struts or usually any kind of front end work you should get one. I know at our place we check alignments for free and don't charge you unless you want it done.

#5 ·
A friend of mine had the same problem in a jetta, he installed bigger front sway bar endlinks and they would touch the caliper on sharp turns. Just food for thought.

#13 ·
There are bushings where the LCA attaches to the frame. The bolts themselves would not wear unless installed incorrectly.

Someone can probably chime in as to where you can get LCA bushings from. You used to be able to buy LCAs for $75/each which included new bushings and a ball joint already installed. That's the route I'd go if still available.

#14 ·
I bought whole new LCA's from ebay. They came with everything already on them. The only problem I ran into was the ebay ones were a slightly different shape than the factory ones and they rubbed my brakes. They just needed a little grinder love to fit right.

#16 ·
I would hope that one bushing is cheaper than a whole LCA. I believe you need access to a press to install it (a huge vise might work as well).

Keep in mind, the other bushing might also be damaged from the extra movement due to the first severely failed bushing.

#20 ·
An LCA is very simple to install. So buying it whole and installing it yourself may be cheaper than buying just one bushing and paying someone to install it. Plus you get the other bushing and a new ball joint.

#25 ·
I've heard many complaints about this actually. But they're also selling them for $99 for both sides. I'll do a little grinding to make it fit for a hundred bucks.

#26 ·
Sorry Fastest, no pictures. It would be pretty easy to see when you look at the new LCA's. The lip might have been 1/4" or so. Just enough that it rubs the rotor.

Mike, you are right. For the price you can't beat it. That's what I paid if I remember correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.