Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had to some hard stops on the freeway lately do dumb ass drivers and I have been noticing that the back of the car starts to kick around if I don't let off the gas. My guess is that car is nose diving so hard the back gets light and that is why it is happening. Any thoughts on solutions besides lowering the car cause I cannot afford that. I am worried with winter coming that the back of the car will be too light in slippery conditions and come around on me when brakeing in snow. i can add weight to fix that but i don't want to haul around cat litter all year.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Wow, I never heard of that. That only happens to me when I'm on a wet parking lot doing like 40 and I slam on my brakes and turn the wheel really fast. Even then, the rear only slides a little bit. When I had my rear wheel drive 240SX, I used to put 2 40 lb sand bads in the trunk for added traction. I don't know if this would help in this case though. Maybe your rear brakes are locking up when you brake, causing them to slip faster. You know, like when you turn the wheel really fast and yank on the e-brake and the rear just swings all around.... That's weird though...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear brakes are actually locking up. It is exactlly like pulling the emergency brake. I would hate to haul around 80lbs all the time.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Do the 4 cylinder models have rear drum brakes, because the conditions to make rear drums lock up are different from those that make rear discs lock up.

Tyson

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
A lot of what you are experiencing is normal....like you said, while braking, more of the weight shifts toward the front of the car, which already has about 60% of the weight anyway.

The rears have been the first to lock up in any rear-drummed car that I have ever locked them up in.

I don't understand what you refer to in this part: "...the car starts to kick around if I don't let off the gas. " So are you pressing on the gas while you are trying to brake? :)

Tyson

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm an idiot :D I ment brakes not gas. I have experienced this with other cars before but I usually had a 80lbs sub box in the back but I don't have that anymore and was just interested if anyone has a better fix except for weight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts