Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my car lowered the other day, had the DropZone coilovers installed....like everyone else apparently the car only lowered like an inch in the front and half an inch in the rear...on a side note what do I have to do to remedy this, but the real story here is that I let my ex take the car down to Ashland yesterday to go see her mom in the hospital, and about an hour and half down the road, that weird noise that was coming from my front left tire got a little too loud for her, she pulled over and son of a bitch if the lugnuts just didn't up and fly off the car. It's in the shop right now the mechanic said whoever lowered my car didn't tighten my lugnuts, and I am freaking pissed. I don't care that she is my ex, if anything would have happened to her because of the faulty install I would have killed that guy.
So anyway, it's in Myrtl Creek right now being "fixed" I don't really know what that means, but yea, it's being repaired and I will get it back on Friday when she comes back up from Ashland, but crap, man, that bothers me. I don't know what I should tell the guy that did the work, other than I hope he realizes his responsibility (financially and otherwise) for what happened.
Oh, yea, and my front and rear strut tower bars that I bought off ebay don't line up at all. The bolt patterns are completely off, and would have to be redrilled. I contacted the people and they are beingjackasses and giving me the runaround. Anyone else have this issue?
Infuriated in Oregon,
~David~

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Damian882 said:

Infuriated in Oregon,
~David~
I have personally experienced a place not reinstalling lugnuts.

After a (successful) NYS inspection for my 1984 Vovlo 242T, I drove across town, only to have the left rear wheel fly off and roll by me. Thankfully this was in town, at low speed. Damaged just my pride and a brake rotor.

A few days later, the one week old right front balljoint failed catastrophically, shearing off... Shoulda seen the look on my face when I walked into the autoparts store with that one...

Anyhow, on the dropzones, you get what you pay for.

Same applies for the eBay STBs. Consider all the rubber bushings in your suspension, and all the convergence they allow, and consider how much that "ski pole" STB will actually do to control camber.

The best ones make the car feel more solid at best, the cheap ones are an appearance mod at best.
-Garrett

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Re: Re: Car lowered....minus lugnuts

skiingman said:

Same applies for the eBay STBs. Consider all the rubber bushings in your suspension, and all the convergence they allow, and consider how much that "ski pole" STB will actually do to control camber.

The best ones make the car feel more solid at best, the cheap ones are an appearance mod at best.
-Garrett
Gotta call you on that. The front STB might not be necessary since the front is quite rigid by itself. But the rear is absolutely essential. The design of the Mx6 (and OMG the Probe) leaves the rear quite open and prone to flexing. The car doesn't just feel rigid with the RSTB, it is down right a different car.

Now once again I do agree that those only adding the front STB are more poseur-esque not really knowing why only doing it for the look. But those that know enough and add the rear does alot to help tighten the car wandering nature in the rear. And once again I do agree that some STB are better made than other. Mine's a big ass solig chunk of aluminum tubing shaped in a rectanggular profile giving much more deflection properties than any round bar can provide, but even if it is a simple round bar it does wonders for the rear.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i have an ebay front stb and when i got it there was nothing that lined up at all. the thing that has the holes for the screws (pardon my ignorance) was all bent outta shape and the holes didnt match at all. my dad took it to work and the flattened it out and then it did fit (with the use of a hammer). so after that, i bought a nice polished rear stb and agreeing with everyone else, i car does feel very tight when you pull the ebrake around a corner:D the moral of this story is dont but s%#t off ebay. that was the second time i have been screwed by them.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I finally got sick of hearing what was wrong with my car second hand through my ex girlfriend...(whew, not only mechanic jargain but then filtered through a ditsy blonde) and just called the guy myself...finally a few things made sense, and I am starting to get the feeling like he's not actually trying to screw me over all that much. Said that when the lugnuts came off, in the process of doing so the threads kinda ground out part of the holes from the rim and that it would need replacing...the only BS part is that he said I had Toyota rims on my car, because of the emblems...had to explain to the guy that Mazda hasn't always had the wings it does now and that those rims are stock for my car, which he doesnt' seem to want to believe either. Says I have 15x6 rims on there when I should have 14s and that the factory is saying I have the wrong stock rims....
anyway I told him I don't care what the heck he or the factory thinks, I just need a goddam rim to get me the hour and a half from there to here, regardless of it's a replacement stock rim or some POS he found on the ground on the way to work, I'm getting new rims anyway, which was his next question apparently, rims and tires I WON'T be getting through him. Liesl was telling me the guy wanted to replace it with a stock 17", and I dunno if that's just girl talk or if that's the mechanic trying to tell her that the rims are different, and all of them needed to be replaced since that one needed replacing.
So I told him that he's talking to me now and not her, and that this is going legit from here on out. I'm not paying $400 for a replacement stock rim, I just need anything to get me up there since having my car lowered apparently makes my emergency spare unusable.
On a side note, her mom, the reason I let her take my car, is doing better, she's on better than 75% oxygen now so she's breathing a lot more on her own, she's in the ICU cause of ban pnuemonia, had a lot of fluid in her lungs. But she's getting better, even if she's my ex, I've been worried sick for days. I coul dcare less about the car I just want her to be ok. No on deserves to have their mother taken away, even if we did break up.

So about the STBs, do you think I ought to just go with it and have new holes drilled? I mean, I already paid for the damn things, I might as well, right? I made this bed I guess I'll sleep in it.
But what do I have to do to get my car ACTUALLY lower? Especially in the rear...what do I have to cut/juryrig in order for this to turn out like I had in my head?
~David~

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Car lowered....minus lugnuts

parisifal said:
Gotta call you on that. The front STB might not be necessary since the front is quite rigid by itself. But the rear is absolutely essential. The design of the Mx6 (and OMG the Probe) leaves the rear quite open and prone to flexing. The car doesn't just feel rigid with the RSTB, it is down right a different car.

Now once again I do agree that those only adding the front STB are more poseur-esque not really knowing why only doing it for the look. But those that know enough and add the rear does alot to help tighten the car wandering nature in the rear. And once again I do agree that some STB are better made than other. Mine's a big ass solig chunk of aluminum tubing shaped in a rectanggular profile giving much more deflection properties than any round bar can provide, but even if it is a simple round bar it does wonders for the rear.
Yeah, the MX6 has horrible torsional rigidity. I used to note this when my window seals would open up while cornering :(

However, I will again point out all the bushings in the rear suspension, and that replacing them would be worth a bunch more than a STB. The problem with the cheapo bars isn't so much in the bar itself, but the brackets. I can flex the cheap ones with my hand, they are going to do much to prevent my strut towers from flexing....

The best solution, of course, would be to weld a triangulated bar to the towers themselves. Could even then hang a battery box from it.

-Garrett

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
have you done a search? I remember reading a few days ago that there is a part that doesn't go back on and if you put it back on you will not be able to go much past a stock ride height. some plate that needs to be taken out or hammered down. forgot which. atleast i gave you a direction. sorry I couldn't help more.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I did a search and I remember reading about whatever it is that thing is, but damn me I'm stupid when it comes to things like this and for good reason, I don't want to just start hammerin down on things and gettin all crazy cuttin stuff when I don't know exactly what it is that needs to be cur or hammered down or lordknowswhat. I wish someone would just take a pick of the stock system and just draw a big fat arrow to what needs to go. That would actually be useful. Words only get you so far. Especially so that I can take it to a suspension shop and say, hey buddy, cut this thing would ya? I'll read it some more though in case no one actually wants to post a pic and see if I can decipher it into language my mechanically disinclined mind can wrap itself around.

I think I'm just gonna get these STBs installed anyway, I don't think I'm really gonna do any HARM with them, so as long as I have nothing to lose and money invested...

~David~

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Damian882 said:
I think I'm just gonna get these STBs installed anyway, I don't think I'm really gonna do any HARM with them, so as long as I have nothing to lose and money invested...

~David~
Yeah, good plan. I agree with you. You might even notice a favorable change, my complaints about the ebay bars aside.
-Garrett

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Re: Re: Car lowered....minus lugnuts

skiingman said:
I have personally experienced a place not reinstalling lugnuts.

After a (successful) NYS inspection for my 1984 Vovlo 242T, I drove across town, only to have the left rear wheel fly off and roll by me. Thankfully this was in town, at low speed. Damaged just my pride and a brake rotor.

A few days later, the one week old right front balljoint failed catastrophically, shearing off... Shoulda seen the look on my face when I walked into the autoparts store with that one...
lol ive had both of those happen to me except on 2 different cars and both were on the front left corner of the car.
i drove away from both. lol i dont even know when my balljoint fell off but it did and it was repaired for free under warantee becuase i had just had it replaced a week before hand.

for the wheel falling off, i took a lug nut off of each of the other wheels, and put the front left wheel on with 3 lug nuts and drove up the street to autozone and bought 5 lug nuts then tightened the nuts as tight as i could and drove a couple miles and checked to make sure they were still tight, they were so i got on the highway..... lol. for 40 minutes... if i were u(some people say ive got a death wish) i would put the damaged wheel back on and drive the car home. or borrow a wheel from somebody, most ford or gm fwd wheels should work fine. then drive it home and fix what needs fixed urself. i put 5k miles on my damaged wheel before selling the car.

from what ive heard about lowering, it takes a while for the springs to set in. even my friends mx6 with new stock springs rides about an inch higher than mine with 150k old mile springs.

if u really want it lowered in the back put a couple hundred pounds of junk in ur trunk lol that should lower it lol (temporarily)

*if any harm is done to u or ur car by anything ive posted its your fault. when u drive ur car or modify it in anyway, u take ur own risk. *

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Damian882 said:

~David~
the problem with your STB is that the brackets are weak? if so couldn't a welder weld a metal plate onto it to increase the thickness and make it less flexable? maybe it would be worth the money...?I sure don't know, but It's an idea.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the guy that lowered my car agreed to pay for half the damages and give me a deal on the strut tower bar install, ad my ex is gonna pay for half of the remaining half so I should be alright.
I had him bore out the holes on the FSTB and then he custom fabricated new brackets for the RSTB so they're both in now and man it's like a whole new car. I can fly around corners at just about whatever speed I'm confortable with. I don't know what the difference would be between what I have now and something way more expensive, but sheesh, this is night and day better. I feel like I am driving this car like it was meant to be. Now I need a tie/anti-sway bar for the rear. They make those for our cars?
I also had him help me finish installing the CAT I bought off eBay a week or two ago, so now that's all in and whatnot, even though sooner or later I'm gonna have to swap it back out to pass emissions, or re-register my car down here in Eugene so I don't have to.
Anyway, so it seems as if everything has worked out alright. I'm decently happy, aside from the ugly steel rim I have up front.
~David~

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
ADDCO(sp) makes 17 and 22mm rear sway bars for us. they have bulk buys on PT every once in a while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts