Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I go out to start the car -- haven't driven it for about a day. I put the key in and get the lights and stuff, but then when I try to start the car, I get some clicking and all the accessories go dead.

So I try jumping it with my brother's car -- but shockingly it does nothing, just more clicking.

Do I need a new battery or is it a possible dead starter? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
hmm well if you jump started it right and it had a low battery it should've started.... you turned on the lights before you started the car? wait till after you start it, its easier on the battery and such, doesnt do much but just a little.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nono, I tested the lights after, just to see if the battery wasn't completely dead. I was just using the lights example to let you know the accessories work.

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
it might just be a very dead battery. See if you can get ahold of one of those jumper boxes. They usually carry higher voltage than trying to jump it. U can always try and stick another battery in there and see if it starts.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If the battery is very low, using thin cables may not get enuf juice from the donor car to the recipient battery. Try using beefy cables and mildly rev the donor car for about a minute. If that doesnt do it, have the battery checked by someone that sells batteries. If they say it will hold a charge, then I suspect your alternator is the culprit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, we tried jumping it with my roommate's car, while revving...and still, the light under the hood is on, but when I try to start her up, the light dies -- it's like the battery just completely dies when I try and start it. I'm hoping it's the battery and not the altenator :(

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
are the connections to the battery good? beides the jumping not starting it, thats what it sounds like to me.

is it auto or manual? if its manual can u roll start it?

try hitting the starter a couple times with a hammer or wreck then try to start it. does that make it crank?

have u had autozone test the battery?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Yeah, you might want to check the connections on the battery. I had the EXACT same problem as you last week. It turned out to be the negetive connector on the battery was loose, and it was all corroded with this white crap. I've cleaned it all off and everything and it works fine now.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Check the main engine fuse and make sure it isnt blown. Also, try putting the battery on a battery charger...if you dont have one Pep Boys or Autozone will charge it for you either for free or a small charge. If you end up needing a new alternator let me know.

Josh

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Yah try and roll start it. A friend of mine just had this happen two days ago. He called me over and his car was dead.

We try to jump start but couldn't do anything.

All we did was put it in neutral, have the other car rev the engine a little bit and push the car forward like maybe 2 feet and the car started just fine. Sometime the starter will get stuck and won't start the car so a roll usually frees up this problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's automatic so that's outta the question. I have yet to check the main fuse, so maybe i'll try that before getting her towed and get everything checked out. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UnDeR_FLiP said:
Yeah, you might want to check the connections on the battery. I had the EXACT same problem as you last week. It turned out to be the negetive connector on the battery was loose, and it was all corroded with this white crap. I've cleaned it all off and everything and it works fine now.
Well who'd a thunk...that's exactly what it was. Corrosion hidden on the bottom inside of the negative terminal -- one can of coke, lots of water and scrubbing on both terminals, and she started right up -- go figure :confused:

Oh well, thanks for the help! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts