Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well today i finally started workin on the dash!

got most of the parts

gonna buy a few things tomorrow

here r some pics

i am having some new ideas for radio! as i want some sort of radio!

might get digital and add it 2 the pc in that case will have to get amps

or keep my current radio "SOMEWHERE"

it wont fit in the ashtry area a bit bigger and there's the ECU! but will give it a shot soon see if i can work something out there

ok in the 2 spaces between the moitor and the dash am gonna have a USB plug and Audio in. spaces filled with Body filler as its easier 2 work with and should be strong enough

here u go

please comment
i need some ideas and stuff :)

as u can see the top part on the LCD is sticking out a bit thats cuz the plastic behind needs a bit more cutting and sanding down! could'nt finish it as my flatmates are sleeping... will do it tom tho:) can't wait...

thanks

oh and i will create a nice walkthrough with pictures 2 go on the mx6db (if they want it ) :S

Reactions: TrIcK^

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha some1 already has asked me about it and wanted more pictures of it hahahahah

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
OMG not another "nightrider" experience....

could be good if it would fit })

John

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
'Kerb avoidance mode' is already in there!! big red light with warnings!! getting close too close ! then , WATCH OUTTTTTT hehe
basically i've learnt my lesson hehe
i will post a few new pics tom with the dash molded and all that
not painted yet! still not sure of the color

i think its gonna be dark red

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Speaking as some one who has painted their dash... I don't think red will work. I would stick with a metal type finish. Like a metallic silver, bronze, alluminium, copper, titanium effect. I did originally want to do a brushed copper effect on mine, but it would have been almost impossible to do.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
metallic red? hehe

what do u mean by it won't work??

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I mean it looks wrong... If you do the prep properly, it'll paint fine. I've seen a couple of red painted dash's and I think they don't suit the car... My dash wouldn't look right if it was in another colour car. Have you thought about painting it black? It wold almost look completely stock then and the mod would blend in as if it was meant to be there... Which is what a great mod should do.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes i agree

but i think it might be a bit "boring"

what do u think of dark silver?

the thing is, whatever color i use am gonna use it 4 the rest of the inside of the car (rest of plastic parts on the dash) maybe do custom leather seats if i end up keeping the car for a bit longer (insurance on a skyline is around 4 k min!!!)

i am liking the idea of titanium effect

hmmm

i need 2 put some primer on 1st right?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Got to agree with heckler, dont paint it red mate, would look ' interesting ' to say the least. Have you seen the dash heckler did. Its pretty cool , there are a few more around somewhere. oh and a full write up i think. Happy sanding !

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok today was more like "learning about body filler" day!!

so the 1st time i just hooked up the USB and audio put some of that filler fixed it with hardner all good

1 hour later checked it out and it was hard! tired to test it but it wasn't glued hardenough and just peeled off!!!!
so i figured i didn't put enough harder

another mix and a lot more hardner!! was putting it on the monitor face (without the usb or audio) and it got hard while i was putting it on!! crazy hardner!!!

so made another one with less hardner and its good
here r some pics from the day

i got smokey GREY paint
and primer

but forgot to get the lacquer!! DAMN IT!!

oh and i def need some gloves!! this shit is hard 2 get of my hands and i think its not supposed 2 touch my hands!! hmm!!

looks like am gonna be sanding for a while!!

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
A bit messy if you ask me.. but it will sand down ok.
Unfortunately, looks like you will lose the writing on the display... or maybe you were intending to spray all of it to match...

Be good to see the finished article...

John

·
Registered
702 Posts
I can tell you now that the filler will never bond correctly to the dash. Filler is a polyester resin mixture and isn't flexible. The dash is a very flexible vinyl and constantly moving in the car. I would give it minutes before cracking once it's back on the car, if you can get it back in without cracking!
I would rather of added two seperate plastic strips down the sides than trying to fill like that.

Gerry

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Perhaps a polyurethene or fibreglass would be more suitable... Although you can get a flexible body filler now.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
It's a shame paint don't stick well to silicone sealant...

I reckon the plasticote paint is probably flexible enough for the dash... and they have some great colours..

John

·
Registered
702 Posts
Fibreglass is the cloth, you are probably thinking of the resin used to bond it which will be either polyester or epoxy. Polyester is the one you will find in automotive applications.
Plasticote is just an enamel, you would need to use a good etch primer to make a bond.

Gerry

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the info! i've already started and got the stuff
so might as well do it with it and see how bad it goes!! its my 1st attempt
and am sure am gonna fail the 1st time and do 2nd and 3rd attempts:)
don't mind wasting time as long as i learn something new :)
for the big spaces i think am going to use something else not bondo as it will crack there a lot easier! thinking of getting some sort of liquid plastic! i've used it before and its really good but it needs 12 hours to dry!! and is a lot A LOT harder to sanddown!! anyways after work lastnight i did 45 mins of sanding down
i must say its better than i thought it would be
as u can see from the picture its not THAT bad hehe
i would say another hour or a bit more and it will be ready for adding a few touches here and there

what do u think?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.