Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the length of this but it takes a bit to explain.

Since i have had my car i have a few continuing problems and I was wondering if anyone knew what they were caused by. The car has only 100k km(60k miles) on the clock.The main problem is that the car consumes oil.. about 1litre per 1500km. I have checked the plugs, pipes of the front of the turbo and breather pipes and they are all free from any oil. There are no leaks at all which are visable. The car does blow some smoke, a sort of whiteish grey colour but only when it has been idling for about a minute or so and is given a boot full of throttle when driving, it never blows any smoke on startup.

Another problem i have which i dont know if it is related or not is that the exhaust seams to make a popping noise when it is idling. It sounds sorta like the car is missing, but the tacho doesnt moke at all.This is only when the car the hot and not when first started.

My idea behind these problems is perhaps that the exhaust side turbo seal is leaking as this would possibly explain how the oil is dissapearing with out enter the engine possibly? I have been told that most turbo's leak some all when idling becayse of they do not seal properly when idle, but i think this is a bit excessive. I was also thinking that the popping could be this oil perhaps burning off with the heat of the exhuast.. sort of a like a miniture backfire type thing.

Anyway any input would be appreciated.
Tim

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Tim,

Not sure about the oil consumption problem, but the popping in the exhaust is most likely just a bit of unburnt fuel going into the exhaust and igniting. No huge problem. My car does it as well.

What city are you in?

Spectral.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im up in townsville so i am a bit isolated from most.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well sounds like you head gasket is bad. Run a compression test on the car a GT should be around 120. If it is then I don't know maybe your turbo is leaking but its hard to find out.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah maybe.. apparently it has had a rebuild, about 6000miles ago, but i am not to sure why and what was replaced. I have always felt that it was a bit slower than it should be, so maybe this is the cause. Always start first turn.. so i dunno how bad compression is, I will get a test done when i get some money though.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It's probably your turbo consuming the oil.

On my 1989 GT, If I get on it a lot, I have to add oil more often. If I don't get on it very much, I don't have to add oil. Mine don't smoke or anything either.

60K miles sure is low for it to be giving you problems, must have been sitting for a while..?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i am hoping that it is the turbo which is leaking as it is really getting worse now, with me being able to see the smoke my car leaves when i boot it hard after it has been idling for 2 or more minutes. If it is the turbo it would be a better situation as I have a family member in the turbo business so i will hopefully be able to get a cheap/free hi-flow done at the same time.

Apparently the car was owned by old people for about 9 years, and looking at the service records it wasnt driven much then, like in 5 years it did 37 000km(25k miles??) Some one then bought it and it had a rebuild under some used caar warranty for some reason, and then was sat around at a dealers yard in a country town for about a year because it was overpriced for too long and no-one there is in to anything turbo.

Is it possible this time of being idle caused the turbo seals to start leaking??

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got that compression test done, 135psi across all 4 cylinders. So that is good, and the mechanic also reckons its the exhaust turbo seal, so hopefully i should soon get that done and stop having to add almost a litre of oil a week!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Sitting for a while can do all kinds of damage--unless it is properly stored in a climate-controlled environment. Usually, seals are the 1st thing that corrodes.

Let us know!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts