Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving on a higway or street, the car pulls to the left if I step on the gas pedal. Also when taking a left curve, it also pulls to the left if I accelerate. It does not have that problem on right curves. Also... If I'm at a dead stop and turn the steering wheel from left to right and right to left, there is a thump-thump sound. Can anyone help?

Thanks

[Edited by djboner on 03-21-2001 at 01:29 AM]

·
Registered
193 Posts
does your steering wheel turn left while it pulls to the left? if it does, it may be low air on the left front tire or rubbing brakes. if the steering wheel doesn't move but the car pulls anyway, you may have my problem which was worn ctrl arm bushings on the RIGHT forward side. if so, email me and I'll tell you what I did to get it fixed. he thump thump may be a worn boot or joint...help me out guys, is that last part right?
hr

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The steering wheel doesn't turn when it pulls, it feels like the front wheels are doing their own thing (by the way it does it on some roads more than others, and it's more severe at higher speeds, plus I noticed today that the steering wheel shakes a little bit when I hit 70 mph). It was doing it before and then I just got new tie rods put in, after that it's doing it even more. What does it mean if it's the steering torque that's the problem? I've had the car for four years and it drove fine before. Noticed the problem about 4 months ago and it seems to get worse, it feels like the front end is loose or something. Thanks for all the info you can give me guys, I think it really helps from having mechanics rip me off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
go get an alignment done. That will either fix your problem or let ya know that it is time to redo your suspension!! (Thats my experience)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
djboner said:
The steering wheel doesn't turn when it pulls, it feels like the front wheels are doing their own thing (by the way it does it on some roads more than others, and it's more severe at higher speeds, plus I noticed today that the steering wheel shakes a little bit when I hit 70 mph).
2 things. Check the wear on the tire. See if either the inside or the outside of the tire is more worn than the other. If it is then it was caused by not having an alignment done correctly. Also, if the steering wheel shakes at high speeds, the first thing to check would be balancing your tires. Don't go spending hundreds of dollars on a new suspension when something little could be causing the problem.

What does it mean if it's the steering torque that's the problem?
I don't know the specifics, but the power on the front wheels is not divided evenly on both wheels. That's why sometimes when you see someone burning out, you only see one wheel spinning. Sometimes for instance, when you accelerate hard, one of the wheels might pull harder than the other one and you will actually feel the steering wheel pull to that one side. You also have to take the quality of the roads into concideration. Some highways purposedly make their roads with grooves that go in a certain diretion to dicipate water and make it have more grip and that makes some cars want to veer to that certian direction.

Hope this helps. Just don't jump to any conclusions until you check the little things first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts