Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone renew the registration yet. I hear that its gonna cost about $75 for the emission control test, in addition to everything else. That's such a rip off, I mean its a good cause however I think it should only be for old cars. I know my car is going to pass, and anyone looking at it could easily predict that, so why the hell should I have to go through such semantics. gesh.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
2 reasons...

1) our environment is being tremndously effected with the growing number of vehicles and emissions given off by them... our OZONE layer is depleting with every car on the road so the government just wants to make sure they can solve the problem and keep it so that we and future generations dont have to wear UV suits just to go outside... thus the need for the catalytic converter, EGR valve etc...

2) MONEY!!! yuup our government saw that everybody needs a car and thought of a way to make money off of it... this extra money is brought into our system which i guess makes it better for all but i agree with u... i see no point in emission testing since the OZONE layer wont break apart in my lifetime and i need every penny i have :D BTW u sure its 75 dollaz? when i went to canadian tire they charged me 30... u might wanna check it out.. peas

·
Registered
143 Posts
3) ...plus they wanna make sure you didn't do something like rip out your cat/egr/etc or pump racing fuel through your car or whatever... i.dun.kno... some people might do it but $75 is stupid

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've already done it for my B2200. $35 total with a nearly perfect score. No big deal. the government actually makes more on it than the dealers. BTW: if you have an aftermarket exhaust or other serious mods there is a modified setting that allows larger tolerances. (but I"m not planning on taking advantage of that system because I still have the OEM cat. and headers.)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
any one with exhaust systems test it out?

I got a dual exhaust system and i just got a letter saying i need to get emissions done... anyone have a system who has recently got theirs done? any results? TIA

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mazda speedstar: I've been talking to the heads of the local mazda dealer and they are saying that mostmodified exhaust cars will pass if the cat is still intstalled. I"ll be doing mine in march and am not worried.

G

·
I wish that with the new emissions testing that they would have opted to test company vehicles also instead of just the average consumer. I've driven behind some of those vehicles and couldn't see due to their emissions, let alone breathe. I've also had the same experience with some cars out there even after the implementation of emission testing-there is NO way they should have passed! Anybody else know what I'm talking about? :eek:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I hear ya... chaces are those ones didn't pass... if they don't pass they have to only do a maximum of $250 in repairs to get their sticker again. -$75 for the estimate and they only have to really dois $175 in repairs. usually not enough for the type of repair that would be needed if a car really fails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts